Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New PC for X

Scott Bond

Good morning all

I would like to hear what you all think would make a good box for the new Version X.

I will be starting a new seat, so that I may put my best foot forward with Version X.

All new O.S.-----What to choose?

All new Box -----What to choose?

Dual processors-------Yes or no.

Dual monitors-----------Yes or no.

Loading all new stuff, no ghosting, ZIP EVERYTHING from the previous seven programmers,

make a new personal config for X to avoid bringing my own ghosts to VX,and the new box.

quote:

Dual processors-------Yes or no.

If it's within the budget, two CPUs are better than one, even if X doesn't directly support parallel processing.

quote:

All new O.S.-----What to choose?

Windows 2000 or XP (But Id' go with XP because what's the advantage of living in the past with 2000? [Hint]: None)

quote:

Dual monitors-----------Yes or no.

Handy for some, maybe not for others. If you have multiple Mastercam sessions open, it'll probably save you some time.

quote:

All new Box -----What to choose?

Once again, the big three are CPU, RAM and video card. Fastest CPU, or two, within your budget; the more on-chip cache, the better. Get the fastest RAM for your motherboard's chipset and load up with as much as possible (no less than 512MB, IMO). Video could be different. The workstation class cards would be my first choice (Quadro). The better of the gamer class cards as a second choice and ATI cards may be fine for X.

If you get a computer that supports PCI-X, even better, in the long run (PCI-X video cards are much faster than 8X AGP ones).