Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help with lathe post...

?Mark

Hate to do it but have no choice but to ask forum members (again) for a little help this time with a lathe post.

The deal is we lost several boards due to lightning several weeks ago and to make things worse we also lost GE Fanuc PG programing station.

It was used exclusively for lathes, even though we had MC lathe (always updated) sitting unused (just in case) for over 10 years. I'm a mill guy trying to setup a lathe post, so you know I'm asking for trouble... banghead.gif

I think I can get most of it setup the way lathe guys like it except for a threading.

They only want to use G92 code.

It's for Mori sl-3(fanuc 11t), Mori sl-253 (fanuc msg-500) and Miyano (fanuc ot)

Here is a sample of what curent post does (it is a left hand thread):

O1000

G0 T0551

G97 S200 M03

G0 G54 X.3649 Z.0575 M8

Z-.8379

X.5774

G99 G32 Z-.25 E.05556

G0 X.3649

Z-.8359

X.5847

G32 Z-.25 E.05556

G0 X.3649

Z-.8343

X.5905

G32 Z-.25 E.05556

G0 X.3649

Z-.8379

Z.0575

M9

G28 U0. W0. M05

T0500

M30

%

and here is what thay want:

%

O1000

N001G50

G0T0505

G97S200M03

G0X.3649

Z.1M8

G00Z-.8379

G92X.5774Z-.25F.05556

G0Z-.8359

G92X.5847Z-.25

G0Z-.8343

G92X.5905Z-.25

G0Z-.8329

G92X.5954Z-.25

G0Z-.8379

Z.01

G0G28U0.M09

Z5.0

T0

M30

%

Important here is a retract move G0X.3649 on one line only.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ready to be flame.gif

Regards, Mark

Why would hate to ask the forum members? I thought that's why we are all here.

Look's like your trying to do a compound infeed with a G92 cycle(changing the z approach each pass). I believe the control has a "G76" cycle that will do that out of the box.With out looking I think there is a "Box","Canned","longhand" choices in the drop down menu.Unless someone else has done this already your going to have to make a special post block for this.I like the G92 cycle also, it lets you pick your depths they way you like them.

quote:

I believe the control has a "G76" cycle

Yes but our lathe guys hate can cycles...

The way they like is simple code that could be easy edited to accomodate special circumstances (threading tool clearance and so on). It seems like it's going backwards not using a control to it's fullest but we all have been working here for at least 15 years each and I've seen them do some complicated parts with zero scrap rate so I take they know what they want.

Thank You for your response.

Seems like there is not many takers today so it's going to be back to a school of hard knocks banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Gonna take a look at old mplfanuc posts from ver. 6 and older and see what gives..

Regards, Mark

Hi Mark smile.gif

I can't help on the post part of it, but I like Reece's idea of looking into the "G76" cycle, at least as a short-term fix if you need code now. It does a lot with very little code; ie "keyboard CAM". Our Fanuc 11T threading cycle looks like this:

T1111M8

G40G50M42

G97G99S450M3

G0X1.75Z1.6

G76X1.541Z.3K.059D85F.087A60.P3

G0X1.75Z1.6

X4.Z6.M1

quote:

Why would hate to ask the forum members? I thought that's why we are all here.

Just trying to be modest. For everything that I get I'd like to be able to give at least as much back, but my work load is crazy. No time at all to play with posts also and after at least 10 hr work day not much steam is left in me... banghead.gif

cheers.gif

Regards, Mark

Hi Avs_Fan smile.gif

We do get a code to run our lathes, but I'm just trying to tweak a post to our guys liking.

This is a way that worked for us for years and they don't want to change it much.

We get a lot of work from costumers that have lathes but can't handle some of those parts. I guess the way you program does make a difference. headscratch.gif

Boulder ???

That's next door...

cheers.gif

Also Avs fan, Mark

I didn't know it was going to be such a major issue editing a post this way. Thought it was gonna be an easy fix someone already had a solution for.

That tells You how good I am around a post... rolleyes.gif

We are currently using off the shelf Mplfan post but I will try to convince our lathe guys to give it some more time and get used to the new codes .

Appreciate Your offer Reece L

Best regards, Mark

You can get G92 by using the "box" method of thread cutting. However, this approach blanks out the parameter for infeed angle, which is what your guys want to use.

I agree with the other posts, it makes no sense at all to use G92 when you have G76 available. If your guys understood the parameters that G76 works with, they would realize that it gives them far MORE control at the machine than G92. Time to buy them an early Christmas present http://www.industrialpress.com/en/item.asp?BookID=157

Oh well, can't teach old dogs new tricks.

Hi again, Mark smile.gif

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday; we lost our internet & WAN @2pm. frown.gif

Good luck cheers.gif in your battle bonk.gif to sell your lathe guys on the "G76" cycle. Like Peter E. says, it's especially worth it if you or "the guys" frequently need to edit at the machine. I'd offer a post, but we, like you, use MC mainly for milling. For lathes we have 1 Miyano & a bunch of Okumas. We use the multiple-repetitive-cycles they have extensively & have not fine-tuned or "tweaked" our lathe posts much.

Yep, Boulder. headscratch.gifcuckoo.gif A nice place to visit...well, let's just leave it at that! biggrin.gif