Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surfacing Help (Tutelage)

Slick

I'm machining complex surfaces with a 5-axis mill. It's pretty much been a self taught/ask as I go experience. I am looking for perfection and am not satisfied with my results.

I have an example model with toolpath and screen shots of my config settings. So I was wondering, if someone with some very in depth experience in this field might be interested in taking a look and giving me some advice, criticism, and knowledge. It would probably work better to communicate via e-mail, but if ya wanna use the forum I understand.

Thanks ahead of time! biggrin.gif

It's ther for all to see: "SLICK EXAMPLE". Now mind you, when I said "complex surfacing" I wasn't refering to the model being a really complicated part to machine, I just thought that was the proper term for this type of application.

It would be great if you, or anyone else took a look. Like I said, I'm shooting for perfection, I don't know if I should use more control points in my 5-axis toolpath, if my spline output should have a smaller value etc.

I'm butting heads with a guy who is "Laser Tracking" this part, and apparently he seems to think the surfaces I've been cutting are deviating outside the +/-0.015 surface tolerance. I of course think he doesn't know how to use the Laser Tracker!

Anyhow's, I've got a few people taking a look which is excellent! I appreciate it. This is a little battle between people who comperhend what MasterCAM and machining is capable of against the skeptics that insist it must be a bad program.

James, ju8st so you know, the file I e-mailed you was a disected file, the complete one is on the FTP site.

Just a friendly reminder...it's a good idea to zip files before putting them on the FTP. Maybe the guy who *was* going to help you is still on dial up and doesn't have time to download a 24 MB file. Just something to think about, that's all. smile.gif

Thad teh broadband