Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Does DNC Max Clients use TCPIP to get licence from server? What ports?

morser

Our enterprise recently rolled out SP2 on windows xp workstations. Our 3 Mastercam workstations are now Windows XP SP2. We use policies to configure autoupdates and more importantly, the firewall configuration on each XP machine.

PC#1 = DNC MAX server

PC#2 = Client

PC#3 - Client

The client on PCs 2 and 3 now don't connect to PC 1. Can someone tell me what ports (if any)the DNC software wants to use to communicate with the DNC server? Thanks.

I'm not sure if it's the XPSP2 firewall causing this issue or not. Thought I would blame Micr eek.gif crap first.

cuckoo.gif

A few things to try:

1. Make sure you are able to ping the server from the clients.

2. Make sure DNC-Max Server is runing.

3. On DNC-Max Client, go "Setup" --> "Configure Client" and make sure the checkbox for "Never connect to remote servers" is unchecked.

4. On DNC-Max Client, go "Setup" --> "Select Servers". Do you see the server there in the window with list of the machines (check the boxes beside the machines)? The Server should be there with a bright green light, if it is not there, try the "Rescan" button or "Add" button with server's IP address.

5. Did you reinstall DNC-Max? If so, make sure the client PCs did not have DNC-Max Server installed. All Clients and Server should be runing the same version of software and key file.

HTH,

Ying.

banghead.gif

Answers to things to try.

1. I can ping the server

2. DNC MAX server is running because it is running on PC1 which also runs the client. it's the only pc that can function right now.

3. When i choose configure client it says this, "You must be connected to a server to get authorization to perform this operation."

4. the list is empty.

5. i haven't reinstalled any DNC. it's been working fine for months.

Main Question:

WHAT TCP PORTS DOES IT USE?

I cannot allow my executable name, i need to allow by ports. thanks in advance for you assistance(s) smile.gif

No choice Winnie...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But that`s silly !

Make a search here and through the net on XP sp2 and problem and you`ll see what headache it makes ,especially it`s firewall .

Some 100 USD and you can buy something really good and far more configurable

Show the info you`ll find to your IT guy ,if he doesn`t know it :strange:

The SP2 firewall blocks ports. and it's "back-end" configurable with policies which make it great for my Worldwide enterprise environment. It blocks ports, just like any other firewall does and i don't have to justify buying something else. Yes it's a work in progess from Micrsoft but what isn't?

I am the IT guy.

That aside, can anyone tell me what ports this program uses?

My first call to InHouseSolutions tech support, the person said that it doesn't use TCPIP at all, and that it uses the serial ports to communicate licensing. true or not? i'm guessing not because the client (when working) has the IP of the server in it's config list etc...

Ying Jiang, that worked great thankyou.

However, it doesn't seem to "Scan" automatically. it required me to enter the IP address of the DNC server. Is there perhaps another port that it uses for discovery that i can open?

Once again, thankyou for the answer. i was in a tight spot...