Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam to Solidworks

JIM ZACK

Everyone:

I 've been lurking quite a bit and have picked up a lot of great info to help me with using MC. However, this is my first posting so go easy on me please. I am currently using V9.2 to create toolpaths for 3D surfaces that I constructed in wireframe. The parts are not too complicated but do involve a lot of compound curves. I do not have the Solids add on for MC but I do have Solidworks. Is it possible to import a MC wireframe model into Solidworks so that I can "tweak it" and then use it in a Solidworks assembly or do I have to bite the bullet and redo every part in Solidworks? Since getting Solidworks, I've done all but the simplest parts in Solidworks and the then imported the model into MC as a parasolid for toolpaths. I'm thinking that I can't reverse the process because of the operative word of "solid" but maybe the expertise here can point me in the right direction. The reason I'm asking is that I created a large number of parts in MC before buying Solidworks and I would like to avoid redoing everything.

Try saving your MC files as DXF and importing it

into SW as 3D dxf curves. You might be able to

transfer some useful data that way.

I frequently save MC surface and solids as

parasolid and import them into SW.

Solids are much more powerful and user friendly

and I havn't used 3D wireframe for anything in years. I really don't know if SW can do anything useful with 3d wireframe.It would probably be more trouble than its worth.

I strongly recommend you spring for the MC solids upgrade. Gets your dealer to give you a re 30-60 solids trial license. You'll never go back to 3d wireframe.

ZIM.....

One thing to remember, surfaces machine just as well as solids.

If you have a wireframe, you can easily lay in some surfaces so you don't have to do wireframe-paths.

I have been using Mastercam since Ver 6 and have yet to this day do a wireframe toolpath.....

Surfaces also let you render up and see what your final result is going to be.

However....MC Solids are about 99% as good as SW.

The only diffrence I could tell between the two is when it comes to filliting on complex intersections, SW would do a few fillets that MC had trouble with.

But you could convert to surfaces and fillet intersections that SW could not do.

6 of 1....half dozen of the other...

FFT

Murlin

quote:

MC Solids are about 99% as good as SW

Most of my work involves machining stuff from

other company's solid models. I frequently have to

create a surface from a solid and extend its edges

so I can machine it.

SolidWorks has a very powerful "surface extend" feature. When I get a surface that gives MC trouble, I'll convert it to a sheet solid, import it into SW, manipulate as required and bring it back into MC.

The import/export part can be a pain, but SW can do stuff to surfaces that completely choke MC.

Welcome to the forum..

I know that we are not supposed to talk about specific pricing here,but I just got my company to spring for the solids add on and it was very reasonably priced.

I'll give you a hint:

In the story "Three little pigs",there was how many wolves? (this would be the first # in the price)

And how many pigs were there? (this would represent how many zero's come after the the first number)

See,very reaonable..... wink.gif