Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapping in 17-4 SS?

ajr73

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience tapping in 17-4 ss, it machines like butter but is very tough on taps, even the OSG series for this ss. Any speeds and feeds would be helpful, and also possable coolants or lubes. I think that the tap was an M6 or M8.

Thenk you,

AJ

I would have to agree with the Emuge Tap suggestions. The spiral flute bottoming taps will pull the chips out of the hole and away from the cutting edges. There will be some suggestions for the number of leads - 4/5 works well in the stainless (503200 series). Also suggest something other than the molydee (That stuff is harsh - IMHO) and would suggest something in a paste form. Either a Jokish paste or similar applied to the hole - not the tap. This will stick to the hole and melt with the cutting temperature.

The Emuge tap in a Tension/Compression holder is perfect for what you need. Run around 6-13sfm for the 17-4 and the rest of the information can be found in the front of their catalogues (Canadian spelling here). The website will give the details of who to call.

The high speed rigid tapping with coolant thru will make your jaw drop. 17-4 material - likely the part quantity will not justify the initial cost of this type of process.

Good luck.

Andrew - Tool Guy from way back.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think we will try the emuge taps next time. The tap was an M10 X 1.5, and the new brubaker tap just chipped after tapping the first hole. I didnt get the information on speeds and feeds or if it was a thru or blind hole.

regards,

AJ