Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

drill / tap combination tool ??

pimij

Anyone out there tried a drill/tap combination bit?

What are your thoughts on these over a 2 tool cycle.

How do you set it up in mastercam?

Just looking for some ideas- we are drilling a short run of 36 parts - 48 holes each - thought one of these might shave some time off.

Thx Jimi

What size holes? The only ones I have tried were prone to breakage and ended up costing me more in the long run....if I remember right they were #10-32. I have never programmed them in Mastercam but I would assume it would be as 2 seperate tools and drill portion would need to clear the part befor the tap portion makes contact. Not much help.~~~~~~~~~Shady

Have tryed these drill/taps a couple of times and not had much luck. Even got the supplier to come out and set up to prove to me that they would do the job. After breaking a couple of them himself he was politely told to leave. bonk.gif

Heard of them being used with success in brass and copper but no good reports being used on steel

quote:

and they worked well on the manual machines..never heard of anyone trying to program for one..

Same here.I was programming in ISO (no M/C at that time)

Good luck

Darren cheers.gif

I used to do the door rails for alott of the Haas machines years ago and at the ends and middle they had 1/4-20 taped hopes and I used this type tool still have some in my tool box.

used them on a Haas VF4 all day worked great.

Oh and programed on MC-V5.

What is the Material? I was taping 1018.

I use them in .09 thick alum with great success. We drap M3 holes first drilling using the tip on all holes then going back and tapping. It does save a tool change but more importantly frees up a pocket for another tool. If machine has a small tool magazine combination tools are helpful.