Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids fillet problem

We are looking for some help on a part that one of our students is generating. He is designing a steering wheel that will be cut from aluminum for his Senior Project at our school. We have worked hard over the last few hours trying to get something to work with no success. I have up-loaded the drawing to the solids folder of the ftp site. The file name is steering2.mc9.

We are trying to put a .100 fillet on the 3 cutouts in the wheel. We choose the correct edges. The problem we are having is that it fillets the inner ring all the way around the entire diameter. Kevin, a senior in high school, would be greatly appreciate any help from the wise people of this board.

Thanks,

Tom Matuszak

Machine Technology Instructor

McCann Technical School

North Adams, MA

Thanks everyone.. Although I very rarely post, I always watch and read. There is a tremendous amount of talent here. Many of the things have greatly helped me to teach my students. I figured the problem was because there was two solids, I didnt know how to combine them.

leehound ,thad and kamman25....thanks! I have shown Kevin and he is ready to go!

PS...I showed him, deleted it and made him start from scratch...

Thanks again

Tom

I am trying to join them using boolean. I click boolean, add. It prompts for target body and i choose inner ring. It then prompts for tool body and i select outer ring. I click done and i get an error (parasolid kernel interface error, boolean error. face imprinting operation failed)

Leehound how did you combine them?

Tom

I had him go back and redraw extruding the inner diameter and 3 webs first, then adding the outer ring as a swept boss. I think we have it!

As far as the boolean problem..he went back to an earlier drawing that doesnt have radii in the corners where the webs meet the inner circle and it worked. He is now trying to figure out why that was causing the problem. It is nice to have students who are this into things.

He has to add the column support and has some other neat features. I will post it up here with some pictures of the finished product when he is done.

Tom