Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface roughing/finishing question

n23x

Hey All,

Up until now, I've only used MC (v8) with 2d contour type work. As I get more and more solidworks parts brought to me (still all simple 2 1/2D stuff) I am realizing the benefit of importing solidparts right in and using the available solids stuff. My question is regarding excess material removal. The part is imported in .IGS format, from solidworks 2004. The stock dimensions are set as necessary. I then do toolpaths->surface->contour->all. For the most part the toolpaths look great, for both roughing and finishing. The part is essentially an L-bracket machined from a solid block of stock. The problem that I'm running into is that, even though I've set stock dimensions, the toolpaths don't seem to clear any of the addition material before cutting the lower contour, so run as is, the endmill would just dig deeper and deeper until breaking. I wish I could post a picture, but I am unsure as to how to upload a picture on this forum.

I should also say that I am a student at Colorado School of Mines, that it is the school's copy of MC, and I am just now learning to take advantage of the solids in MC. However, there is nobody that I've managed to find there who's ever used it before.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Eeyore,

I was able to upload the original solidworks part, the .IGS file, and the .MC8 file, which should include the stock (just added .2" to XYZ dims with part centered in stock). I tried the surface->rough->pocket but it only recognized the holes in the part.

The URL's for the files are:

ftp://mastercam:[email protected]/Ma...s/L_BRACKET.IGS

ftp://mastercam:[email protected]/Ma..._BRACKET.SLDPRT

ftp://mastercam:[email protected]/Ma...s/L_BRACKET.MC8

What (if any) are the benefits to importing into MC the .sldprt as opposed to the .IGS?

I do greatly appreciate the help!

.jim

Always opt for solid model file. More flexible. You can always do a find feature on solid model and then edit fillets or hole diameters of the model. Also in my personal experience if you select solid model and it's edges as containment boundary the processing time may reduce dramatically, well that's very situation dipendant.

Eeyore,

I downloaded the eeL-Bracket.MC8 file and opened it up, but I cannot tell the difference between this one and the original L-Bracket.MC8 file that I uploaded yesterday. Is there a change to a particular surface or portion of the solid?

Also, how (if at all) would driven and checked surfaces be applicable to generating toolpaths from this solid?

Thanks Again!

.jim

Jim,

Try using a surface-rough-pocket, as Eeyore (Iskander) stated. First, you'll have to patch in the holes and horseshoe shaped cutout. That way the cutter won't "fall into" those gaps.

For the holes, try Modify-trim-surface-fill holes. Select the surface where the hole resides and drag the arrow to the edge of the hole and click.

For the horseshoe shaped cutout, you'll have to create some geometry first. Try Create-curve-one edge (and just like you did on the holes) click on the surface where you just patched the 2 holes in, and drag the arrow to the horseshoe shaped cutout. Now you need to close that chain. Make sure you're in the 3D construction plane and Create-line-endpoints. Click the ends of the horseshoe to close it up. Now Create-surface-trim/extend-flat boundary, select your closed chain that you just created, Done, Do it.

Drive surfaces are what you want to cut and check surfaces are what you want the cutter to stay away from. In this case, I see no need for check surfaces.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. cheers.gif

EDIT: I just realized from looking at Iskander's new file that you only need to patch in the horseshoe shape if you don't want to cut it. Or use "Cut Depths" to limit it.

Thad