Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deep Drill Titanium

SLJ

Got a part that's basically a hinge. 6AL-4V Titanium. Need to put a hole through it. .095 dia. x 1.5 deep through hole. We sent it out last time to be Gun Drilled and honed, and got poor service (delivery and locational accuracy). We are thinking about peck drilling and reaming next time. Anybody have any recomendations for drill type,ect.? Looked at the OSG catalog and the Exocarb drill doesn't go that small. At over 15x dia. depth, and .001 positional tol. to itself, I have my doubts, but not my decision.

Without having whole lot of experiance with Titanium I would suggest drilling smaller leaving about .01 in the hole. Then use a carbide undersize E.M. to true up the hole leaving about .005. Then using a Jig Bore type reamer go in and finish. Sometimes carbide is not the best choice for 6AL-4V so consider M42 Cobalt for your drill and Jig Bore Reamer.

What I do is cobalt stub drill (undersize) with

short pecks to about 3/4 of flute length deep,

end-ream as deep as possible with tool smaller than finish but bigger then stub drill. Next tool

cobalt jobber length drill same size as end-ream......

repeat until thru, then I double ream thru with

carbide reamers.