Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Version 6 to Version 8-Preferences

Smit

Our company went from Version 6 to version 8 recently, and I'm pleased with the upgrade for the most part. Overall a vastly improved product. But here are some of the things that I find more difficult in Ver. #8. When creating holes in ver. 6 you had the option of creating a different size hole by typing in a different value for each location. Fast because you could create the same size holes with a double click. In Version 8 you need to back out to the create hole menu to change values. Same with changing levels. Much slower (unless you're creating a whole bunch of the same size holes or using the same level) and easier to make mistakes by forgetting to back out to the proper menu. Another thing I don't like much is in Version 8 you don't have the option (or I don't know how) of selecting the order that a series of drilled holes will take. Many different options but sometimes it's convenient to be able to select the order manually. I hope that they put these options back in the next version. Perhaps have a user switch to enable or disable that option for the people who don't want it. Does anybody know how to contact a Mastercam representative to voice opinions on what they would like to see adopted for future versions?

Just venting...

Larry confused.gif

Toolpaths-Drill-Manual will get you the order that you select (Auto-cursor is very helpful here). Note the prompt at the bottom "Point sorting is Off". Also for those of you from the good old days of <=v6, if you want to run the same holes again reversed, Toolpaths-Drill-Last-Edit-Reverse will get you what you want. Also don't forget about dragging the geometry from one operation to another - huge time saver.

I recently took the Mastercam V8 class and was amazed at the things I picked up just watching someone else fumble through the software. It was 2 nights a week 3hrs a night for 4 weeks. ($850.00) It was great because it gave you time to go back and try different things before the next class. I learned a lot more shortcuts and actually do many things different than before when I was on V6. I think going to V8 was a good change. The toolpaths are similar to Pro/Nc. The other package that I use. cool.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I gotta say that Version 8 has made so many things easier that I would not even conceive(sp?) of using a Version less than 8.0 As gstephens pointed out the drilling actually gives you more power now because you even have Rotary Soring methods. When I do drilling cycles that use more than one tool for the same set of holes, I only select the geometry once. I'll go into the Ops Manager and copy the operation, change the necessary values, reverse the holes and regen. Done.

Just my 2¢

I agree completely that Version 8 is a superior product to Version 6. I'd never go back to a previous version. However I'm sure that all of us have found minor things that would improve the user friendliness of the program. It would be nice to be able to communicate the things that we would like to see changed in future versions to somebody. So I'm wondering if the suggestions that are in this forum are being read and considered by the people who develop Mastercam. Perhaps a separate thread with peoples thoughts on what they'd like to see implemented in the future.

Thanks,

Larry