Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mazak Nexus???

Rob B

We are in the process of buying a Mazak Nexus. I think it is a 510 model not for sure. The powers above just let me in on this yesterday. It has the Fusion control. Can anyone give any input on these machines or the control. We have several of the M32 controls in house. I am wondering what I am in for in the future.

I think the nexus is mazaks midline machine but with a lot of the high speed perks. 40 taper and I think they come with 12k or 15k spindle. I've new run one so I couldn't give all specifics on how it machines.

The Fusion control is pretty powerful and fast. It's a lot closer to the M+ boards (in looks and feel) if you have any of those. If you know the M32 boards, you're half way there and the learning curve should be short. The Fusion is a PC controller and Windows driven. There's a lot of things this board can do that the M32 couldn't.

I think you'll have fun with it. cheers.gif

Offhand,

Spiral (helical interp.), Shape Comp (G61.1), rotation (G68), EIA 3D Comp, G54.1, EXT 600Set (macro variables 600+), Auto TLM (Tool length measuring), Renishaw probe, Sync. Tap, macro B, etc, etc

Keep in mind, this is my opinion for where I'm at. I don't know the capacity or capability of your shop and what direction you're headed. I would get a hold of an options list if you can and look them over... Then hope that "Santa" will bring all of the things on your list! biggrin.gifcheers.gif

Well, we have had a 410a for a few years. and we have had a Haas for a few weeks. I would trade that nexus anyday for another Hass. ease of use and even surface finish is better with the Hass

plus Mazaks come with windoz 95 rolleyes.gif

might well be 3.1. good luck with the support for that. we get none. cant even get em to load network card drivers

The 2000 pro control is pretty decent. Is that what you're getting? The CPU in our new Integrex is the weak link at only 300 Mhz. It runs the machine functions just fine but a virus scan is very taxing.

Networking is the only way to go. Then you can edit in the machine from a desk PC all within Windows. I don't edit on screen more than the simplest changes. I also drag and drop all files simple as copying from C: to A:

Mayday, to network a Fusion 640 you can just plug in a PCMCIA network card into one of the slots in back (not the one on outside) and load drivers via floppy. You might have to shop for old crap (I mean vintage equipment) but it is very functional and well worth the effort to network the control.

MayDay,

Are you saying you would buy a Hass over the Mazak. I have ran 2 different Hass' at other shops and thought they were very weak in the $ss.

Do you not like the controler or the machine.

We will buy a Mazak becuase our other mills are Mazak's. The owner doesn't want to change brands. We have been well satisfied with the Mazaks that we presently have.

Can you tell me more?

Rob,

we have an outhouse of mazaks here also. verts and horz. but we always have better luck with MC programs on machines that came with a gcode interface as the main. not secondary like mazaks.

Our Niigata and Hass seem to outperform the masaks. I was never one for linier guide rail machines. Im a boxway solid as a rock type guy;)

personal pref I guess. me an mazatrol just dont get along. the windoz interface in the nexus is cumbersome to use. it really needs a keyboard and mouse hooked up. the touchpad on the machine suks. real easy to fat finger stuff

Its not really a problem,just its not right there in your face. you have to bring up the EIA monitor to run and its a very small window. it likes to use the mazatrol tool library if you use the EIA tool lib be carfull. just remember mazatrol is always in the back ground waiting to stab you, jab you, make fun of you, and never lets you forget its there curse.gif

I'm interested in what these "problems" are with EIA programs. Been using the fusion controls since they came out (9 - 10 yrs or so?). I agree with Mayday on a couple things though.

quote:

the touchpad on the machine suks. real easy to fat finger stuff

I never use the touchpad (except for the replace function). You can navigate the board without it. But since I've been using a lap top more, I'm finding it easier to use nowadays.

I used run into fat fingering problems too. I found out that the 'alter' key was always screwing me. Years ago I just learned to always shut off the 'alter' key if I used it. I actually don't ever turn it on anymore... just type in the changes then delete or backspace. Sure would be nice if they added an 'undo' key though, like on a PC editor.

quote:

Its not really a problem,just its not right there in your face. you have to bring up the EIA monitor to run and its a very small window

You're right about that. Although I think you're talking about 'program monitor' on the position page. The EIA monitor is full screen. The 'program monitor' on the position page is a little window. Would be nice if I could stretch that.

I've run mazaks that run in both mazatrol and eia... even back and forth within the same program without a hitch. I never use the tool library except for a probe and heavy tools to slow down the tool change. Plus when a probe is identified it keeps the spindle from turning/unlocking.

For verticals, I like the FJV series and the Hypersonic series. We're running feeds that our haas' can't even rapid at, much less cut it. I do believe that all machines have their place though. Would I trade a mazak for a haas? No way. But then again, like I said earlier, I've never run a Nexus series.

Not to downplay anybody. Everbody has their opinions and preference. Its funny how someone could not like a machine for something, but then someone else might like it for the same thing. I like mazaks. But I also like Niigatas, Makinos, Mori Seiki, etc, and yes, even a haas for different reasons. I guess all these things and differences is what keeps all of us on our toes though.

+1 Mayday cheers.gif

Rob, what issues with EIA (or the machine) are you concerned about?