Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Questions to ask job applicants

EZ3PUTT

Our Makino has spindle start and stop buttons adjacent to one another at the very top of the control panel. After a tool change the spindle is orientated and locked. You have to press spindle stop to unlock the orientation. This machine is used primarily in high speed applications. One guy was in a hurry and blindly reached up to release the spindle lock. At 18k, most of the pieces were never found. I edited the warm up routine to end with S60 and add that to the end of my nc files for that machine. Note: the warm up programs were supplied by the machine tool distributer, they should have known better.

Same machine, HSK tooling. Machine USE to alarm out if a tool was put into the spindle out of orientation. It would clamp the tool either way, the wrong way causes the tool not to seat properly and run out about .020. The alarm function no longer works reliably. Put a tool in the wrong way, running high R's and the machine sounds like a hurricane. Only 2 guys in the shop touch that machine now.

I S60 and M19 that beast every time I open do anything manually on it..

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

WHat I do in customer's warmup programs if they have them, is to do a check on what tool number is in the spindle, if it is equal to the probe tool number it just alarms out.

There's NO excuse for alowing a spindle probe to run like that in a spindle. If a customer soed not have a warmup program, I'll set up an M3/M4 MACRO to not allow the spindle to turn on with that tool number in the spindle.

• Like 1

Wow I've never tossed an indicator, probe or anything else. I did fling a 20LB aluminum compressor cover out of the mazak spindle, was trying a new post and it didn't cap the spindle at 750 like the old one did. Tried to go 3000, probably made it to 11~12 before it ejected. Luckily no employees were harmed during this test.

Let them see a drawing that is simple (ish) to make, that has one really tight tolerance on it only and see if they spot it. The sort of drawing that the method is dictated by the one feature/tolerance.

Also, something that is a little trickier but made from titanium or a high temp alloy. Something a bit nasty and again see if they notice, or come back with I assumed it was ally!

Also the question of 'why do you want to work here' and 'what can you offer us'.

The toolbox is so spot on - and you can spot a good person by the way they hold their tools (titter titter).

6 month initial contract is plently long enough so you can get shot of them if it doesn't work out. 3 month can be a little short in a big company.