Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids boolean HELP!!!!

jeff

I have a big problem.

I have 2 files in parasolid format from my customer who had a desiging company draw for them.

I somehow need to boolean remove(would love to be able to boolean extrude) 2 smaller solids embedded within a larger solid.

I can't do this because it would result in a disjointed body and all that crap.

I need to "extrude/remove" the 2 smaller solids straight out creating straight walls.

I just need to machine the bottom form and side walls.

One of the problems is that when I convert from parasolid to MC,the file goes from 7mb to 64mb.

WTF!

My computer cannot handle that size file,believe me I've tried for 3 days now.

I don't have Solidworks or anything else and I am not sure if the other softwares are capable of doing what I need doing, but if someone can please take a look at them,or I can email the files to them,I would mostly appreciate it.

I will put them on the ftp as jeffhelp1.zip and jeffhelp2.zip

And they will be in parasolid format for size reasons.

THX.

jeff, I looked at your files.

The reason you cannot bolean romove is because the parts are not a solid body. they are an open sheet solid.

There is also an error on the white part up on the end with the large radius.

quote:

I don't have Solidworks or anything else and I am not sure if the other softwares are capable of doing what I need doing

Don't need Solidworks. You can do exasctly what you want to do in Mastercam.

It isn't very easy but it can be done.

Are you just wanting to make a strait wall cavity that the part will sit in without all the plugs and stuff standing?

Murlin,

I need to machine the form with straight walls so the parts will sit in there and have further work done to them.

yes,forget about the holes and posts and stuff, I can fill holes on solids and surfaces,but I just need to machine the bottom form and straight side walls.

You say it can be done......how?

I can machine the bottom form now by selecting the bottom surfaces,but I need chack surfaces or some kind of boundary or else my cutter will overflow into the main body.

I hope I am explaining it right.

Jeff, I uploaded a file to the ftp site called MAS_SUB NEST BLOCK-LEFT SIDE ONLY.ZIP. This file wasn't too bad to work with. I created surfaces from the small solid on the left side, then changed colours of the surfaces that would be on the bottom of the cavity. Next, I create curve, parting line on only those sufaces. I then had to create some edge curves where there were no parting lines found. some areas were a little funky, so i had to blend in the splines and arcs until i had chainable geometry. then i squashed the curves flat to z zero in the front plane, and did a solid extrude cut through the large solid. this will give you a toolpath boundary to work with. Now you should be able to isolate only the surfaces you want to cut in the cavity. The other file is a real pig. You are going to have to create surfaces from individual sheet solids, or as Murlin said, get the customer to send a new solid. This second file took me almost an hour to translate into mastercam, first one only took a minute or so. Hope this helps you out somewhat.

Steve