Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Future?

burns

I'm a machining instructor in southern Ohio and I don't think this teaching thing is going to last through retirement. Our student enrollment is declining steadily. I'm proficient at Mastercam but by no means an expert, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a shop I could work in this summer to further develop my skills. Will travel.

I have found that people want to learn Mastercam, but the schools fail to promote it properly. I hear all the time that enrollment for the Mastercam classes is declining. Let me ask you this.... What is the class called?

Schools tend to hide the Mastercam class by calling it something else,"CadCam technology" or something stupid like that. I've sent customers to the tech schools and they end up telling me that couldn't find the Mastercam class.

A machinist calls admissions and asks for the Mastercam class. Some student admissions assistant looks down a list for the word "Mastercam", cant find it and then tells the caller "sorry we dont teach that".

Why is the Microsoft Word class called "Microsoft Word", the Autocad class called "Autocad", and the Excel class called "Excel". But the Mastercam class is called "Machining Technology"?

If you promote the class and work with your local dealer, you can fill the class.

As for learning Mastercam: I've always found the best way to learn something is to teach it. I thought I knew Mastercam pretty well until I started developing my Training CD's. By the time I was done I had learned a TON more than I bargained for.

Mike Mattera

I was a Machininst/Welder in the Air Force for four years, I've taught school for nine years and recently ran an Okuma VMC for about six months. I would like to program and run the machine to gain a more in depth knowledge of the various parameters and setting, especially in solids. Haas, Okuma and Milltronics would be the machines that I have the most experience. Autocad and Mastercam 9.0 are the software packages that I'm most familiar with.

Hey burns,

I guess this is reality check; at least it was for me.

Observing a continual class size reduction confirms the inevitable. As the class becomes smaller, so does the profit margin and I believe you’re looking at the writing on the wall.

Looking for a possible summer job or a temporary job is not going to fill a possible vacant position since the owner might view such as a complete waste of time.

I might suggest NOT saying “it’s just that I see class reductions” or “it’s just for the summer” or “I want to further develop my skills” Even if you offered yourself for no financial gain, this could still be a tough sell.

I am not looking to get you all discouraged but your query just seems to jump right off the page.

Regards, Jack