Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

witness marks left

S/X

I ran a finishing program after my roughing program, as the mat'l I was cutting is quite soft. I had left 0.01" on and it didn't clean up. This has happened before, but usually happens in contour programs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how this might have happened and how I might go about eliminating this problem?

My tol. was 0.005. I was told to up my roughing tolerance to eliminate the cutter from jumping around when turning any corners.

Mayday- yes I am surface machining. My roughing cutter was a 1" bull with 0.062" rads and finishing cutter was 1/4" ball.

I am thinking that it could be that I never left enough stock when roughing.

Try a tighter tolerence .001

Then try your .005

IS there a jumping around difference?

(Once a guy told me leaving stock on check surfaces doesnt work and So I never did

Guess what, It works great and I was drawing up boundries and offsetting them when I never had to)

Sometimes when you change one number say from .005 to.004

All of a sudden everything works the way you wanted it to.

So rough it in verify, save as Mypartrough.stl

Then open mypartrough.stl

and run verify with the finish program.

You will see Exactly what did or didnt clean up.

Then can change you stock to leave in your roughing program until it cleans up in finish.

Also you can uncheck Minimize tool burial

to keep the tool down somewhat.

quote:

I was told to up my roughing tolerance to eliminate the cutter from jumping around when turning any corners

If your talking about jerky movements, it could also be caused (errrr....fixed) by some other parameters. Gap settings and tangential arc movements are the first things to check and adjust.

With adding stock to leave on check surfaces, I've found that can create little sharp movements too, even with smooth gap motion on. Where the drive surface meets a check surface, the tool will execute a hard stair-step like motion to get the set distance off the check surface, and THEN execute the smooth tangential arc/loop.

m2c

oh, make sure optimize is on too. I will crank up the gap settings, with arcs and smooth motion on. Cuts some air occassionally, but does so in a nice smooth manner with fewer retracts. biggrin.gif