Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Request for HELP: Post issue

MCam Newbie

Hello all,

I need to get posts developed by my reseller, but my problem is this: He wants a file generated through a generic MAsterCam post, with the output G code anotated as to what changes are to be made to suit our needs.

I sent him a file I wrote, not using mastercam, with notations, etc. This he doesn't even want to deal with.

Being new to MasterCam, how the hell am I supposed to be able to create a file, including multi-side machining with A axis, (vertical mill),

rigid tapping, thread milling, high pressure coolant, flood, or air blast, showing how we want subs handled, and incorporating multiple coordinate systems (G54-59, G54.1-48), setting up coordinate systems using G10 statements at the head of the program, (We machine workholding, or know location, as we use ball-lock tooling plates), and all the other capabilities we need the post to handle?

I have taken the dealers introductory classes, lathe and mill, and have started and am 1/2 way through the initial 16 week course at a NTMA facility. (Scored 199 out of possible 200 points on mid-term test)

However, it will be some time yet before I can address the rotary issue, as I have yet to be able to create the various CP and TP views assigning them coordinate systems and having them work properly. Between the job, school at night, and life stuff, I simply don't have a lot of time, (or brain function!), to work this out in a timely manner. Seven more weeks of class, then a 3 month wait to take the advanced class, and 16 weeks more to complete it, and maybe I could tweak a post on my own. I will get there, but I need to get this post issue addressed "NOW". The company wants results, and until I can get custom post outputting code taylored to our operation from our reseller, I am sort of stuck with mastercams true power unavailable.

I end up editing generic post output. (Which is one of several reasons we purchased 2 seats of MasterCam, I have been editing the output of another Cam package for 16 years! I find myself stuck in nearly the same situation, again!)

Hence my hesitant, somewhat desperate request, because I know it is HUGE: Does anyone have a post-test MasterCam part file for a vertical mill that incorporates all, or the majority of these functions? I would use it to give the post guy what he wants, in order to get the custom posts (that we paid for!), worked on. The guy only wants to communicate via Email, so I imagine changes back and forth will be time consuming to begin with.

Do all resellers handle new customers in this fashion? If so, it sucks, as it requires people new to the software to perform advanced programming before custom posts are supplied.(Note: Everyone I have been face to face with concerning MasterCam training has been excellent! I do not intend this to be a "gripe session" on my part.)

Anyway, if anyone is in possesion of such a file, and is willing to share it, I would be eternally grateful, and will not pass it on unless given the authorization by the provider to do so.

So, please, if someone could help ...... ?? My position is getting uncomfortable, if you get my drift .....

Excellent forum, incidently. "The BOMB", as they say these days. Keep it going strong.

Yes, posts were discussed. We were under thye impression that examples of our C.N.C. code for each machine we need posts for was all that would be needed. Maybe a misunderstanding on our end, but we certainly thought it was all clear. We were lead to belive it was no big deal. Basicly a "Show us a sample of your current format, and we can duplicate it, or come very close."

I sure don't want to start anything. That was not my intention, not at all.

My current instructor is fine, and very helpful. However, when approached on the 4th axis application of MasterCam, he tells me it is for the advanced class. I was going to try and sit in on an advanced class, but feel it would be an intrusion, even if allowed to do so, to take an instructor's time away from the rightful students. My main problem is having time to work out a file that has all functions to insure a correct and complete post, as we need it. Additionally, a file I create may have "Newbie" errors, which might cause unexpected output, because input is not up to snuff. The post guy should not have to deal with that, as well as working to get the post like we need it, if you see my point.

Thanks for the reply.

Additionaly, my thanks to whoever moved the initial post to the users forum, from the instructors forum. My posting there was my mistake, as were the 2 copies (Browser over a local network, I over clicked!)

Anyway, thanks for cleaning up my "Post Mess".

+100 Greg I dont think you will get a perfect post the first time around. Start with the basic important things...move on to the 4th axis stuff later...try to learn to tweak it on your own once you get in the ballpark...there are many knowledgeable people on this forum that can help with tweaking. The main thing is to get to running good code asap. I am sure that anyone on here that can help will help...myself included. Good luck to you ~~~~~~~~~~~Shady

Newbie, just a couple of comments.

Depending on what machines you are using, your dealer may have access to proven posts that will be pretty close.

As these guys indicated if you are going the custom route, you are not going to get it all done in one fell swoop. It will teke some interaction with your dealer. Although I understand your frustration, I also think your comments are a bit unreasonable.

If you are generating code and editing it NOW, why can't you supply the edited code to the dealer ?

If you have been editing code for 16 years is a few weeks of post tweaking really that unreasonable ?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

What I had my customers do was create a sample file with the types of things they wanted in their post. Usually a Cube 6 x 4 x 4 with some points (for drilling, tapping, etc...) Then the geometry of the cube can be used for a facing and contour toolpath. Very simple. Post it out using something like MPMaster, MPFan, etc... something somewhat closeto the code you're looking for. Then annotate it and modify it according to preference. The reason for creating the sample file is so that your edits can be duplicated by posting out with the newly edited post. Getting posts the way you want them can be a frustrating experience initially, but well worth the pain.

You reseller has one of the top MC Post guys in the world. He'll give yo uwhat yo uwant, you just have to give him exactly what he's asking for.

I wipped up a sample file that has Facing, Contour (with CComp), Spot Drill, Drill, Tap, Threadmill, Rotary Toolpath, and Sub Programs. Took all of about 20 minutes. It's in the ftp://www.ppcadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/MC...st_Test_Sample/ FOlder. I'll also e-mail you a copy to get this going quicker.

As for the Beginning/Advanced Mastercam issue. The classes are divided up that way for a reason. I taught Advanced Mastercam and I'll tell you, after about 20-30 minutes once the instructor gets past the switches in the Post, you're eyes are going to be glazing over. It's a dry subject. Except for the very first Post Class I taught, (which had mostly guys that were qualified to teach the class) only 1 or 2 out of 20 even got 2% of the subject. I'd guess you're one of the guys that woudl get it, but save yourself some grief while you're learning the software, let CCCS handle it. E-Mail is not a slow process, actually, it is the fastest way to deal with it in my experience. You're e-mailing code backa and forth.

Hope this helps the cause.

Thank you all for the input, and the time. You are all correct, in that a little patience on my part is indeed required. I did not intend to sound unreasonable, just a great deal of tension around here the last few months, much shakeup in the shop. Many roles being redefined, including my own.

After years of being a key man in the shop, in line for shop supervisor, working with having run a crew of 22 before a merger in '92, I find myself in a position of having little or no input. Now that they are finally investing in the shop, improvements that for years I tried to help initiate, I seem to be left on the sidelines.

I think I screwed up, believing hard work would eventually pay off. 24 years of outstanding performance reviews, my last one, by a manager who knows nothing about machine work, gave me my first ever poor review. A week after my 25th year with the company, no less.

I may make a move, after mastering this software. I really am an excellent machinist and programmer, very seldom is there a problem with a process I plan and fixture and program. Should have made a change years ago, I suppose.

Anyway, didn't mean to let my current situation affect my posting as much as I obviously have.

I appoligize to all of you, didn't intend to come off so negative. Thanks for all the well grounded input. Much needed, and less painful than a slap across the chops!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hey, everybody has bad days man. No sweat. I know it's hard when you have a boss yellin' about where the programs are and you don't have everything in place to get them done efficiently yet. Take a deep breath, you'll soon be banging out programs faster and better than you ever did before. MC is one of the most powerful posts in the industry and by far the most user customizable(sp?) out there. Bear with it, ignore your boss (to some extent) and learn as much as you can.

You get a chance to look at the sample file I sent you? Let me know if you need anything else in that sample file.

Hey Paul, welcome to the forum. Welcome to another pretty steep learning curve. Good news is, it sounds like you're up to the challenge.

There is no substitute for getting along well with your reseller and post guy.

Yeah there's a ton of details to address so sharpen the pencil and dig in. Realize you're one guy, this task is big, and it will take some time. When you get it figured out really sweet your boss still won't get it, but then you'll be well armed to move on.

Say what machines you're trying to run. What level Mastercam do you have?

Rant on if needed now and then, about the only thing that doesn't fly here is personal insults or mega-know-it-allness.