Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tolerance settings?

Surface

I uploaded a file to the FTP:mc9_files/letters.mc9

The file contains a bunch of box_style_letters which were imported as a DXF. I can't figure out what is wrong with the geometry which would cause problems when creating a toolpath.

The letters are created primarily with lines. A few arcs, but no splines. The contour has been squashed, duplicute and over-lapping entities removed.

Contours are closed, or at least apear to be closed. Some of the lines even refuse to be trimmed to each other.

This is really strange. Any help is greatly apprecated.

Thank you for the reply Chip. The toolpath is an illistration of what can/is happening. I beleive the file which I uploaded was a quick pocket of one word, yet one letter was unable to be machined regardless of pocket settings.

This chain has simular problems with engraving and contour toolpaths.

I have to agree with you, Surface. I have tried everything I can think of, comb views, rechain, squash, even rebuild the geometry by creating spline-curves and also breaking many the spline. Nothing works.

I would send it to qc@mastercam, see if they have an idea.

The only thing that did work on the 1st 'T' was to tranform-translate the 2nd 'T' to the 1st position and delete the 1st. That worked.

Try taking one letter that doesn't work and scaling it up 20 times then pocket - chain.

If there is a mismatch in the geometry the chain will stop at the mismatch.

The error may be less than the chaining tolerance and will be worse when you scale it up.

Probably less work to get different letters.

Joseph