Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming KUKA Robot arm with MC ????

RandleXX

I just returned from Westec and got to check out the Kuka robotic milling arm. VERY COOL!

The guy at the booth said MC would not program the Kuka and I would need to buy a seat of Powermill ($25,000). mad.gif .

What the heck can Powermill do that MC can't ????? headscratch.gif

Has anybody here had any experience with Kuka? or programming robotic type machines??

Thanks wink.gif

quote:

Has anybody here had any experience with Kuka? or programming robotic type machines??

I programmed IBM 7545 robots and Fanuc 1100 robots. The IBMs used a language called AML and the Fanucs used a language called Karel. They could also be programmed, in a more nasty way, with a PLC. No CNC, AFAIK.

Randle I programmed several different Fanucs for pick and place to secondary machining ops on large blowmolded parts. All with a teach pendant. Circles are fun to get the right size and location. Chahe (sp ?) from In House wrote a post to run Motoman robots, and was going to start on a Fanuc robotic post. This was well over a year ago so he may have something by now for them. You may want to check into them if he does, fanuc has a very broad and knowlegable support network. I have heard of a couple of robotic arms that take G-code but I have not investigated at all. I would appreciate any info you dig up.

Thanks,

The following is from a press release on the robotic mill:

quote:

Six axes – too much for CAM software?

The robot works with a total of six movable axes. The system thus has very specific requirements for the CAM solution. With this in mind, OPEN MIND Technologies AG was able to offer a very powerful and flexible CAM concept. For example, hyperMILL� makes all machining strategies ranging from 2D, 3D to 5-axis technology available in a simple, Windows-based user interface. Many aids, graphically supported control screens and plausibility controls for inputs simplify the CAM programming and orientation. Another plus was OPEN MIND's know-how in the field of postprocessors. Robot technology presented particular challenges in this regard. The spatial coordinates in the CAM program needed to be converted to robot-specific coordinates. And, with six axes, this robot has more to offer than a conventional milling machine. This converted data was then imported into the robot controller using the KUKA postprocessors. Last but not least, hyperMILL� in hyperCAD� is an optimally coordinated combination of CAD and CAM software. Both 2D and 3D data can be processed with the hyperCAD� CAD software so that the processing of 3D CAD data is possible. Add to this a series of direct and standard interfaces to other CAD systems. It is thus possible to import data from different systems and to process it in a high-quality manner – another factor that also increases flexibility in product development.

This is from Hypermill about the Kuka programming system.

quote:

ESCAD Systemtechnik GmbH created a milling robot as part of a development partnership with KUKA Roboter GmbH and OPEN MIND Technologies AG. The actual milling work is programmed using the hyperMILL®/ hyperCAD® CAD/CAM solution. One advantage of this application is the fact that it can process 3D CAD data. Additional advantages include the number of machining strategies available, ranging from 2D right through to 5 axes. Expertise in the field of postprocessors also played a decisive role in the project’s success.
The technology for the robot presented particular challenges, as the spatial coordinates of the CAM program had to be converted to the robot’s own coordinate system using 6 axes.

Apparently Powermill also supports this. The question would be to tweak MC to program 6-axis. Although from looking through some software, the language supported by Kukas is "KRL". headscratch.gif

Hi RandleXX

That’s not true ,we can program ,kuka robots, we developed a post processor and does turns 5axis code to 6axis of robot code. We can do everything they can except for simulation right now(Which will come soon). Plus we do Motoman ,Fanuc and Staubli robots we are working into incorporating ABB and Panasonic as well, plus a lot and a lot more that they will not be able to do right away, In the US there is 3 companies that us the Robot Post processor.We gave it a name of Robotmaster. If you would like, send me an email and we can discuss more in detail. www.robotmaster.com

Garen