Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I got a New PC at work......

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Friends,

I started a new job last week and I got my new PC yesterday (Friday). Being the staunch INTEL fan I am, I now have what I deserve, an AMD K7 1.2 GHz. biggrin.gif

This is the first K7 I've touched. It has a Matrox G450 with 256MB RAM. biggrin.gif For the OS NT4.0 SP6 frown.gif I've been using 2000 for so long now that I'll miss it at work. But at least NT is stable, it could be much much much worse - Windows 98 eek.gif or worse yet ME eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

I'll keep you posted on performance. So far though it is pretty nice and it's a touch faster than my PIII 800MHz that I have here at home. But at home I have double the RAM too. Yep!!! 512MB RAM on my home box.

Any things I should be on the look out for while I'm here asking?

Thanks,

Congrats on the new job/PC. You shouldn't have to worry about venturing into AMD territory. I'm an Intel fan like yourself, but the CPU battle is like the Coke/Pepsi debate. Fundamentally, the equivalent Intel and AMD CPUs are quite identical. They both understand the same set of x86 intructions. The AMD's 3DNow instructions are different from Intel's MMX instructions (syntax wise, not functionality wise). But I'm almost certain that Mastercam doesn't use either of them. Let the debates begin smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I work for a company that makes aircraft seating. It's right down the street from the school. Real nice place to work so far. The people are real nice. They have Mori Seiki Horizontals biggrin.gif. Makino, Kitamura or Yasda would've been equally as nice.

Jay, write me an e-mail and I'll give you more specifics.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

My sig is still shorter than yours tongue.giftongue.gif .

It's good to mix it up every once in a while.

I wonder how Scott's doing. He's in Reno this weekend racing at the Blackjack Nationals.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

MarkC,

Thanks for the kind words.

I noticed in the Bay Area and some areas in the North West, SurfCam has a healty presence. It's wierd, they can barely sell a seat here in SoCal yet some regions are heavily SC.

Good luck in your new job. I hope you got a good one.

James,

That system should treat you right. I've been using a AMD550 with just about the same specs for a couple of years now. It worked like a champ. The powers that be wanted me to go with a more mobile system so I now have a lap top. frown.giffrown.gif

How's the business going in southern Ca?

James I just read your notice about your new pc. I recently bought one with the amd 1 gig processor with the GeForce2 mx video card and found after loading Mastercam that my cross hairs are black, blending in with the background, have you ever heard of that problem befor and do you know how I can fix it?? confused.gif

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: dgocal ]

Hi

When the new place finds out how you are ,I'm sure they will be happy with you.

"I wonder how Scott's doing. He's in Reno this weekend racing at the Blackjack Nationals."

Thanks for asking ,

This was an assume indoor track with stadium seating all the way around,good lighting , some TV action,and air conditioning.On Saturday I wrecked-out with a little help from some of my fellow riders.On Sunday I beat the Sobe, and Infinity (same guys that wrecked me on Saterday) riders out of the transfer spots.In the main I came unclipped at the gate ,it was all I could do to cacth'em and get a 7th .I am content with this finish because it puts me in a solid NAG 9.(9th in 41-45 National Age Group) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Scott,

You 'da man. NAG 9. Some day I hope to make the top 100. (I know it's a low target but I'm taking baby steps biggrin.gif .

I'm trying to talk my wife into Del Mar. She won't know anybody. I'm hoping to get to your track a few times before them so our families can meet.