Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

reading solidworks file ?

moldmaker10

I have a customer who does not wish to go threw any translater. He has sent me some solidworks files (native format). Is there any way I can read these in mastercam? The direct translater thats downloadable will that work? I don't think it will looks like just another translater where it has to be used in solidworks to export to mastercam. I'm using version 9 with solids, with maintenance. Need help. Thanks for any help.

quote:

I've had lots off issues with sldprt's in the last month or so.

Hey Matt ,

Just curious as to what kind of problems you've been having ? I've been getting alot of "parasolid data not found" and "zero length" errors lately.

Sound familliar(sp?)

cheers.gif

Been in the shop all day, just got back at my desk. Mastercam version is 9.1 sp2. I have used the parasolid on a couple of solidworks files from previous versions of solidworks before without issue. These files came from solidworks 2005. This could be the problem. I will download the translator and give it a try. Yes these files are the 3D model and not the 2D layout.

quote:

parasolid data not found

Always this same message. Always from the same customer. Jay, I'm on 9.1 sp2, no maint., current translators etc etc.

At one point, I sent a couple files to CNC and they couldn't open them either, until they opened them in SW, resaved them, and tried opening them again.

I use Mastercam Mill 9.1 MR0105 with the latest SolidWorks Translator. I design using Solidworks 2005. Translator works perfectly except for thos 2 annoying errors. Zero length and another one. They're not critical and only affect edge curves being created during the import stage.

You'll see that your model will be missing some curves. These can be manually recreated using the create, curve, one/all edge.

I have found one model that refuses to import one complex surface. I worked around this using SolidWorks' IGES translator.

Update on the errors I was getting, and possibly the reasons...

quote:

Matt,

I finally was able to show the SolidWorks Tech Support people your file and here’s the response…

The partition stream for the one configuration has zero bytes stored in it. The model itself wasn’t built when it was saved. My guess is that SW determined that the model was out of date and needed to be rebuilt, when this happens the configuration data isn’t saved.

And I can’t claim to completely understand. Somehow the file was saved from SolidWorks without the model being properly built or regen-ed.

Just thought I’d let you know what I found. I was trying to find out if there’s something we can do about it, but the answer is “apparently not”.

Pete Rimkus

CNC Software, Inc.

If you're still having issues, let the people using SW know what Pete found.

HTH

I've had a lot better luck with SW 2005 files using the "Save as" from SW and selecting the "X_T" format.

If you don't have access to SW 2005 or these are customers files this won't be of any help.

Also I have had some SW files that you could not put a 3d toolpath on. SW would say that there were no errors or gaps but MC would barf when trying to generate a surface machining toolpath.

Good luck

I don't use mcdirect.

I simply save my solidworks 2005 file, as per normal. Run mastercam, file, converters, parasolid, read file. Then I simply change the "files of type" to solidworks part, and I import it as I would import a normal X_T or X_B file