Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Accessing cadcam's ftp site

Chris Robinson

I'm trying to access cadcam's ftp site but I'm having difficulty. When I click on the link, a seperate Explorer window pops up and a search light is shown. In the bottom window, it says "searching for contents" then times out and/or locks up. I have disabled my firewall to no avail.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Chris Robinson

"Passive" is a transfer mode used by an FTP client (like IE or FileZilla) to communicate with an FTP server (such as Jay's FTP site). there are actually two transfer modes; "Passive" and "Active". With "Active", two TCP ports are used; the data port (20) and the control port (21). When you connect to an FTP server in this mode, you connect to the server's control port from a random unprivileged port number...let's call it X. Your FTP client will then listen on TCP port X+1 and sends the FTP command "PORT X+1" to the server. The server will then connect back to the client's specified data port from its local data port.

The "Passive" mode that everyone and their mother here talks about, uses two TCP ports; the data port (20) and the control port (determined by the FTP server). Your client kicks off both connections to the server. During the connection phase, your client opens up two random unprivileged TCP ports locally; X (higher than 1024 and X+1. That first port is used to contact the server on port 21, but instead sending one of those "PORT" commands and letting the server to connect back to its data port, the client spits out a "PASV" command. This tells the server to open a random unprivileged TCP port...let's call it Y (higher than 1024). The server then firesback a "PORT P" command back to your client. Your client then kicks off the connection from port X+1 on your end to port Y on the server to send/recv data.

For whatever reason, Jay's FTP site hates "Passive" mode so you need to set your client to use "Active" mode. As of SP2 on WinXP Microsoft enabled "Passive" mode by default, so if your client is IE read ]this. If it's FileZilla that you use, read this. If you use something esle, it's along the same lines.

HTH