Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fanuc 6m dnc problem

Did a search and found some stuff but not exactly what' goin on. It works downloading but not dripping. confused.gif

Yes, he was drip feeding before switching to the new pc. Turned fifo off , checked all the usual suspects; baud,parity,handshake...

I think that it is a setting in the machine?

(he was using btr to drip with and now trying to use the rs232 port.)

Jimmy,

If he was using a btr before that would tell me that this machine has a tape reader.

If it does, I think it also means no rs232 port, but not sure.

If this is the case he'll need to continue using the btr device or he can use special software that takes the place of a btr device.

Let me know what you think.

HTH

Most Fanuc 6M that I've seen comes with a standard RS-232 port/with a blue punch cable connector and tape reader. The RS-232 port is used for upload/download to memory. For customers who require "drip feeding", we unplug the tape reader and plug it into a BTR so they can do both "memory" and "drip feeding".

quote:

he was using btr to drip with and now trying to use the rs232 port

What's wrong with the BTR way?

BTR shouldn't care that DNC software is sending the file, we use BTR with DNC-Max or CIMCO Edit all the time, before that, we've used the same BTRs with other DNC software include Mastercam's DOS communicate thingy.

I have a feeling that the BTR is not setup correctly or not used correctly, you wouldn't need the section.dll when you can drip feed with BTR.

Jimmy posted this on my behalf for I was in the shop trying to get this job going. Long story short, easytalk is a Dos based program that will not run in windows. I have been drip feeding the larger programs with an old computer with windows 95 that had true Dos emulation. This computer finally died and doesn't work anymore. I download the smaller programs with cimco editor through the RS232 port. Working with Jimmy over the phone we could not get the machine to drip feed but we could download smaller programs into the memory. Any ideas? The problem isn't as urgent as it was, I was able to find and older computer with Dos and finally got it set up with easytalk and going but I do need to get this resolved. Thanks for any help.

OK... Long shot...

Try forcing your comm ports down to a "safe" baud rate like 9600 or 2400. I have found some software that was unable to convince windows to change the baud rate.

To force a baud rate change pull the Properties of "My Computer", Hardware, open your device manager, pull the Properties of the Com port. Double check that all buffers have been disabled (Under Advanced)and force the com port down to 9600.

But then again, you say you can load from the new PC without hassles, just drip feeding is a problem... I take it that you are using the same software to do this...

Bloody weird, but I'd havta agree with you then, must be something in the control.

Allan and Ying.

For the most part this is true, however there is a company out there making BTR Simulation software. Suburban machinery, Dan Fritz is on the ball when it comes to older fanucs

You might want to give him a call.

Tell him Lee sent you.

HTH

• 13 years later...
On 5/17/2005 at 4:47 AM, Jimmy Wakeford from Barefoot CNC said:

Mold maker is having a problem with his 6m controller. He can go thru cimco and download a program into memory, but when he swithes to tape mode nothing happens when hitting cycle start. Anyone have any ideas why he can download but not

drip?

HI, how do you solve the problem. Thanks for your help. I have an Okuma Milla 4VA and has the same problem.