Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hardened s-7 milling?

Gary

I have 50 5/16 s-7 pins about 58 to 60 rc that have a cross hole dia that is about .145 dia and needs to be .153. I was thinking of taking a tialn coated 1/8 dia endmill and cicle milling it out. What do you think. If anyone has any ideas or some s&f info that would really bail my arse out on this one thanks.

Never tried in 58-60Rc. Put in lots of blind .159 holes circle/helix milling w/.125 tialn cutters, but I keep my s-7 between 50-54Rc. I'd try a 2 flute, I like niagaras plus they're cheap, and you'll need a few. I like to take a 1/8 stub length(from Mich. Mill #NA85436 $5.85 each) and clear it so it only has about 1/8 or less of flute and helix down .005 per revolution about 10K RPM. I use air blast for cooling. Good luck.

he holes are in the correct position and only need to be opened up they could be honed. Probably wouldn't take to long and wouldn't be tying up a cnc. I would estimate they could be honed out in 3 hrs. for all 50 pcs. This is with using the roughing stones then the finish stones prescribed by Sunnen on a Sunnen hone.

thanks for the help crazy busy right now so I didn't get to try anything till tonight. I milled one and it cut good. Ran at 9500 rpm and about 10ipm morph pocketing with .0005 steps. Now all I need to do is get a decent setup for locating that hole in the morning and I will be cranking. again thanks