Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Suface finish contour help

Racer X

I have uploaded a file called "1.25inch inserts.mc9" into the MC9_files directory on the FTP site. Can someone take a look at it and tell me where I am going wrong on operation 3. I am attempting to finish most of this pocket with a .625 bull endmill with a .0312 corner radius. I will then finish what is left over on the bottom radius with a .250 ball. I have done two other sizes that worked wonderfully and left me the desired finish. However, on this part it wants to do a bunch of z plunge moves until it gets well down inside the cavity rather than just circular interpolation moves with a step down each time.

Thanks in advance.

Moto teh frustrated. banghead.gif

The check surface is what was causing fits, there is no need for a check surface here.

The cut depths are your friend you should use them.

.002" step down is pretty fine you would be better off with a ball tool and a larger stepdown IMHO.

I've placed my attempt back in the same folder 1.25inch inserts_AB.mc9

HTH

Allan

Thanks Allan! That did the trick. I would have used a ball mill had UPS delivered them on Friday like they were supposed to. I am attempting to get these out for texture on Tuesday so you really helped me get ahead, and on a holiday nonetheless! Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Sounds like Allan has you in teh right direction.

One thing I would add, seing as I use this toolpath constantly.

Use a boundary to keep the tool inside the pocket, and like Allan said use your depth cuts, I prefer Absolute, this way keep keeping the first cut inside the pocket.

HTH