Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hardmilling 62Rc punch faces

We do alot of tooling for pressing ceramic parts. Most of the tooling cosists of a Carbide die with D2 punch and ejctor. The problem is that the faces on the punch and ejctor wear out and the edges chip. Curently we grind down the face to repair, but some times we have to remove .100" or more and grinding D2 isnt easy. So anyhow I would like to try and mill it off. I followed the advice I found in someother threads and while it worked great for side milling I cant seem to get good results face milling.

For starters Im trying to do this on a Haas Vf2ss with the HSS option and a 12K spindle. The face I did some trial runs on is only about 5" sqr. So far I tryed useing a 2" 5flt face mill W/.030 rad Tialn inserts 700SFM .005DOC .0015FPT full dia cut. That didnt work worth a damn. Next I tryed a .500EM 4flt W/.020 rad TiAln coated same feed speeds ect but used Morph pocket outside-in W/75% stepover. Worked better but only made it halfway throgh befor the cutter craped out.

Am I banghead.gifbanghead.gif :banghead:Here

Or just bonk.gifbonk.gifbonk.gif :bonk:not doing it right!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aaron

The problem to start w/ is your endmill.

Most 4 flt cutting tools don't have the geometry

to cut material this hard. Your step over is way too

big also. An OSG-SHP 6 flt mill or Mitsubishi-

miracle tools are what your need.

Theres lots of others but with the lower price you

lose performance. Call me tommorrow and I'd be happy

to hook you up. I sent you my info

PEACE biggrin.gif

Jabro makes and awesome tool for 60 Rc and up. Tesco Technologies distributes them here in the US. Its their JH130 series. If you run a 12MM cutter your settings for face milling you would use 182sfm, rpm 1468, depth of cut .0047, step over 100%. Helical entry into the cut diameter x 1.2 and depth per revolution equal to your depth of cut (.0047), or make sure you plunge off of the part. The faceing operation on a 5"sq. will take 1 hour 50mins with 80% stepover to ensure you clean up everything within the edges of the corner radii.

Can you side mill the material from the outside in like a pocketing routine? You can increase your metal removal by doing it that way IMHO.

Same cutter 2135 rpm, doc .2362, stepover .0094 feed at 38ipm. On a 5"sq. should take about and hour and 38mins to run.

I know it goes without saying, but your set-up and tool holder must be rigid, rigid, and lastly rigid.

Hi Aaron.

For face milling try Mits cutter with cbn inserts.

Did 62 HRC tool steel with it and it finished about 900 passes of 7" lenght with no tool wear smile.gif .

I got it from Tandem. Let me know if you need their phone #.

cheers.gif

Kind regards, Mark