Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

rs232 for dnc to yasnac

Noel

We have been running our matsuura vg1000 with a yasnac j300m control for years with the same dnc set up .The other day the motherbaord on the pc we were feeding it with went south. Our IT guy brought out a new pc the problem now is that the new pc has a db9 port versus the db21 on the old one. a 21 to 9 adapter does not allow the comunications to work. Inside the control cabinet of the machine the cables are 9pin. There are 2 separate cables one for memory mode and one that goes to the high speed board for dnc. If I hook up the cable for memory transfer to com1 on the pc with a straight through db9 cable it works fine. if I try to hook up the other cable for dnc it will only send data for tape mode if I set the flow control to none or software so the buffering does not work. If I set the flow control to hardware which it needs to be the data will not send. I have tried a few different pin configurations to no avail. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.gif Noel

Noel

Do a web search for RS232 pin outs you should be able to find a link that shows the standard pin outs for 9 pin as well as 25 pin RS232.

the only thing is that you have to know what is coming out of your CNC control CNC mfg. usualy did not follow the RS232 standard.

I have tried several configurations suggested by our matsuura reseller and none have worked. We have decided that if they are coming in to fix the problem anyway we might aswell have them install an eithernet board instead of the rs232 board like they should have done originaly. that way I wont have anymore data starve problems. Thanks for the suggestions.

Noel

Noel,

Here is what I am getting from the Cimco DNC-Max booklet: RS232 layout for 9 pin connector.

[*]2 -> Received data...... -> RX

3 -> Transmitted data... -> TX

4 -> Data Terminal Ready -> DTR

5 -> Signal Ground ......-> GND

6 -> Data Set Ready .....-> DSR

7 -> Request to Send ....-> RTS

8 -> Clear to send ......-> CTS

Hope that is what your are looking for.

Have a nice day,

does your machine have a flash card on board? there was a pretty good post a while back on using a pc card instead of dnc. we did this a while ago and will never use rs232 again.

doug