Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Safety Zone

Peter Bennett

I am a new user and have many questions. I program a CMS 5 axis router for trimming plastic parts. Is there a place in mastercam to define a safety zone around a part so when I run the program the head does not run into the fixture or part when it moves between cuts? I have tried to use the safety zone in the job set up without much luck.

Thanks for any help

Pete

Peter, MatQ uses the same ideal as we do. Have your post force absolute retracts between ops (for crash saftey) and optimize your program at the machine. Be sure you have your incremental retracts set long enough to completely remove the tool from the part. Backplot to be sure. I have found this to be a safe and effective method for avoiding crashes. Then at the machine you can block out or shorten the absolute retract you don't need. Do you have an Osai control? Are you programming TCP? If so this method is a must.

We do have an Osai control and am programming TCP. The post that I am using does force absolute retracts between ops. I thought I could do this in mc and avoid doing the editing at the machine. It is a tedius job to edit the programs at the machine.

Is it normal to have to do editing at the machine?

Thanks for everyones input on this.

Pete

If you use the safety zone in mc do you have to center your part in the safety zone since the safety zone centers at the axis?

Mito

When you have the fixtures modeled in mc is there a way to define it in mc so the toolpath avoids it.

Maybe a little more work in MC but this worked for me using Caia v4 to program 5 Axis (live or Dead).

Create a point in space and call it Head safe or somthing that you recognize to be the place where you want to to your head positioning. Move the machine to the point using Toolpaths/Point and assign a work plane to the operation that matches the work plane of the op when the tool is retracting from the part. This way the head stays fixed during the move over to the point in space. Then using the same point in space create another op using Toolpaths/Point and assign the desired workplane to that op so the head will do it's positiioning at a safe point away from the work and fixture. I've used this successfuly in MC for 4 Axis work so I'm confident it will work for 5. HTH !

quote:

Yes and no. On complex parts with a lot of ops and radical machining angles I prefer to be at the machine during 1st set-up. This way I can tweak the program for cycle time as well as verify that I don't crash. You will also learn a lot watching your programs run and tweaking them.

quote:

Depends on your work type.

I could not live without the capacity to edit at the machinetool.

You would not want to run the whole program just to fix a small area of the part if it were be welded in a certain area. I do lots of repair work.

Another instance: Some toolpaths might need you to build surfaces closing off a section of the part in order to process correctly, or give you the toolpath you need.

Another trick I use is build an offset surface on all the shallow ramped areas of my part so the tool will not over deflect during Finish Contour...leaving some stock for Shallow to clean up.

I just tried the safety zone in mc. The safety zone display showed my part was inside the safety zone. I had the retrack box checked in the parameters. When I backploted the part the tool went right through my part.

mcpgmr

I like the idea of the point in space. I am haveing trouble with having to edit the program everytime I repost the part

Thanks,

Pete

Worked good for me. I see in MC it's quite different than Catia but the priciple is the same.With MC you are some what confined to the predifined paramter choices. Nice thing wit Catia is the NCMILL/TIP and GODELTA command. You coud make those machines stand on there heads if you wanted to. cheers.gif