Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Undocumented features of Mastercam ???

Kenneth Potter

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yes there are a number of "Undocumented Features". It's a fairly known fact. People get upset (namely my students). I tell them that more they use the software, the more "Easter Eggs" they find.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yeah, compliling a list would be pretty cool. My view is pretty tainted anymore, I don't know what is documented and what isn't anymore. biggrin.gif

Wait, how about when in the Operations Manager, nothing happens if you Press Alt+R or any other of the Underscored letters on the buttons. How you access the Alt+ functions is to press the Tab key ONCE to "Change Focus" then you have full access to the Alt+ functions on the buttons.

'Delete' - Hold both mouse buttons down and anything your cursor touches will be erased.

'Backplot' - documented but frequently missed, put cursor on 'step' hold left button down and touch right button for quick stepthru. Also, pressing 'enter' during 'run' will stop the backplot and allow you to 'step'.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

'Delete' - Hold both mouse buttons down and anything your cursor touches will be erased.

This works with entity selection as well. wink.gif

I have another the "End" key forces Mastercam into Dynamic Rotation that only stops after breaking your "Esc" key. j/k biggrin.gif , seriously though, if you are rotating a rather large/complex shaded image, it can take a "while" to stop.

"if you are rotating a rather large/complex shaded image, it can take a "while" to stop."

If I hold down page-up or page-down key it the software will catch it from rotating again.(this seams faster)

"Hold both mouse buttons down and anything your cursor touches will be erased."

Hold both mouse buttons down will work in many places including create. I can use it to

speed up the page down in the editor ,if i hold down both and sweep the mouse side to side

at the same time. I also use it for speed in "create" geometry when I am in A hurry .

There are many ,and a list would be fun reading.

I see now that you guys feel my frustration on this subject of undocumentation.

It took most of you folks some time to figure those features out Huh? As opposed to a well documented manual with clear examples

that after 10 minutes of reading & youve got it down pat. A Compile list is over due. So i,m working on my own list along with some tips & tricks sample for me to quick reference , Soooo many easter eggs to remember. cool.gif

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Kenneth Potter ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I wouldn't exactly say I'm frustrated, it's more like feeling left out. frown.gif You know the developers go through the trouble of creating something and then they go and don't tell many people about it. I just want to be on the "A List".

Good Afternoon

(After reading this post I am editing in that this conversation toke place about 1987)

I talked to Tom Scholar about them and his opinion was that the basic logic of the system controls all the features we use. So if something works in one area of the system it will work in all similar ones as well. Tom showed the M.C. to me in 1983,and sometimes when I work I can still here his instructions, and in his voice .

" Scott when you understand the logic of the system ,it will prevent you from getting lost when you are working 10 menu's down."

Then he would lean back a little ,laugh,and take a dragg on a cigarette. cool.gif

Luther some of the words are miss spelled

so that Jay can read them.

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

I can add an undocumented feature in the CIMCO Edit v4 editor (at least in the most recent versions, you may have to download the newest (free) update from www.cimco.dk). If you hit Ctrl-H, you open the 'Replace' dialog, but this is not listed in the menu or the help file.

I must remind the programmers to include mention of that...

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: craebild ]

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: craebild ]