Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

recomendations cutting nickel

Surface

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

All I gotta say is RUN FOR YOUR LIFE eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

It pushes a mean burr, ummmm, drilling small diameter holes (.125 or less) more than about 4-5 Diameters deep you're going to have to do some grinding on the drill to get it to cut bigger because the material shrinks down on the drill and snaps 'em off. Plan on loosing about 1/2 your Coiffe biggrin.giftongue.gif and if you don't have much to start with, well... rolleyes.gif get used to being bald.

HTH

I was reading that it pushes a big burr. The article seemed like they were causely recommending tools with a high rake angle, but they were turning.

The holes aren’t a big problem with this part. Mostly surface machining with a 1/8 ball. I was thinking I would be ok with a sharp AlTin coated endmill and running it with high-speed speeds and feeds. Something like 450 SFM, .05D DOC and feeding a little heavy .0015-.002 FPT.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Probably not a bad idea to go with high rake. It is VERY abrasive though, Cast Iron abrasive eek.gif TiAlN is a good start, I think Robb Jack X Series, OSG ExoCarb, or something of that nature would help the cause.

I have cut alot of nickle chrome alloys. TiAln is a good coating choice also TiCN works well. However I dont think the speed and feed is realistic. Kennametal guidelines for a 1/8 carbide emill with TiAlN in nickle is 100sfm and .0004 FPT

this is in line with my experience as well. I am interested to see any data retrieved from the machinist who actually setup and ran this material. _mp