Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Connecting Computers thru HUB

Lars Christensen

As already proved, I am far from a computer gig.

I am trying to connect to brand new Dell's with XP Pro thru a 3com hub. No freaking luck.

both computers show "Limited or no conection" in the buttom on the screen, though that I can see computer 2 from computer 1 when I go into network group.

I have tryed all kinds off tests, and the one that keep repeating is that I cannot ping computer 2 from computer 2.

I am praying that one of you smart people out there once again will show your simpathi and help.

Thanks

Lars

Good Day simpathi ,

Not to make it to difficult...

make sure file and printer sharing is checked

then you have to share a folder on each system.

I hope you are using XP ??

Tony G

CNCiT Precision Machine - Hudson,NH

X Beta Site

Almost Employed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

-------------------------------------------------

A hub is "dumb", generally just shares a connection and doesn't perform any DHCP so the IPs of the two computers should be manually set before hand and they should be on the same subnet. Routers, on the other hand, are "smart" in that they perform DHCP functions. Also, you could simply directly connect a crossover Ethernet cable to the two computers and network them that way as well, again manually setting their IPs and subnets beforehand.

For Xp pro you have to set sharing and security permissions to be able to access folders. As for not being able to ping the two machines, that is strange with a hub. As Bullines states, a hub is nothing more than a pass through connection. If you can see them in the network group, you should be able to ping. Are you sure you have the correct IP address?

Also check your device manager to make sure the ethernet cards are working properly. did you try the network connection wizard that comes with XP?

Spend 6 hours on this project, tryed wizard 8 times, read my eyes out on windows, dell, intel, 3com sites, running diagnostic on every possible thing I could fine. Then the boss came out and we tryed for the 9th. time doing the wizard, and then he saied"well let me call the guy who have fixed our computers in the past" cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif And he will be in tommorow afternoon, and Lars's headache is gone, and I am going to be watching over his shoulder like alittle puppy idea.giffirebounce.gif

Thanks guy's

the one thing you have to check for is that both computer are on the same subnet

go to a dos prompt on both computers

type ipconfig /all

the subnet masks must be the same for the two computers to connect to each other. Most standard simple connections will use a 255.255.255.0 subnet...

A hub as bullines said is a dumb hardware connection between the two...if its purely inhouse and you're not doing much traffice between the two then you're ok...if you're hooking more than two computers up id spend the money on a "switch" which is a little smarter...and if you're planning on going for a full blow solution where you want to connect to the internet...you'll need a router...

if you want to ping a XP computer you need to make sure ICMP is enabled in the advanced tab of windows firewall..also you should set both pcs to use dhcp which is used by default and the hub will allow them to communicate.One pc will act as the dhcp server and the other pc will gets its ip address info from there. use simple file sharing when setting them up to connect to each other. this will allow full control to both pcs.If its a older hub that dosent support auto sense on the ports then you will have to use a crossover cable to connect them to the hub. but if this is the case then do as mentioned earlier and just run crossover cable from pc to pc and do away with the hub. host id's (ip address range) need to fall in same range and subnet masks as well..

on another note run the network setup wizard then when its finished it will prompt you to make a disk to use on other pc to automatically setup the network shares and settings.. this is another and easy way to get your pcs to communicate if your having trouble with the setting being configured correctly.

[ 09-29-2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: sr_7626@natl ]

The computer guru stopped by today, I spend 2 1/2 hours watching him going thru all the stuff I had looked at, he pinged, winged, flinged, splinged........and pulled his hair out, on my suggestion biggrin.gif we switched computer #2 (brand new Dell) out with another computer and everything was fixed, so that computer is going back on warrenty.

Thanks alot for your support guys, you make this place the best place on the net.

Lars