Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Compensating feed rates on arcs

Hugh.Venables

When a cutter is moving through an arc in a cylindrical pocket if the specified feed rate presumably applies to the centre of the cutter then the cutter teeth will actually be feeding at a greater rate. This will become increasingly significant as the arc gets smaller in proportion to the cutter diameter. Can MC compensate for this?

Hugh Venables.

Thanks Kenneth.

Maybe I need to open my eyes a bit wider. It works well. Because it is set in Job Setup it is applied to all operations, not always desired. In that case it might be better to try High Speed Machining to be able to tailor that one operation. Sometimes the surface machining tool paths produce files that our control can't process fast enough to keep the machine running.

Actually "adjust fee on arc moves" in Job Setup seems to grossly overcompensate. I believe the compensation factor is 1-C/J where C is cutter dia and J is job arc dia. I'm doing a job where I calculate the feed needs to reduce from 60 m.m./min (2.36 IPM) to 2.3 (0.92 IPM). One third the way down the profile MC has already reduced it to 0.1 (0.004). Any ideas? Can anyone confirm my formula?

Hugh Venables

The logic is the same. Job Setup uses a calculation that is a lot simpler than that of Metacut.

Besides, what is the difference when you are cutting inside a pocket (arc's with smaller radii) or cutting outside the pocket (arc's with larger radii). I am using pocketing as an example to illustrate the point. So, you naturally need to minimize the feedrate on a smaller arc and maximize on a larger arc(both to the capabilities of the machine).

Then again, are you talking about roughing operations or finish operations?

Mastercam's arc feedrate adjustment tool that is available via the Job Setup or via the individual toolpath operations is decent, but not as detailed as the Metacut software.

Mastercam's Highfeed tool is pretty good for what it does. There are however limitations in this tool where the acceleration and decelaration are based on studying the optimal machining feedrate of 1 arc. Also, the cornering feedrate is based purely at 90 degrees. Other angles at which the tool can accelerate or decelarate are not taken into consideration. But, for being included in Mastercam, it is an excellent bargain!

I hope this has not gone off track from the main point of discussion, but all the above points do matter.

Regards

Mastercam's method of calculating arc feedrate adjustment is very basic and does not take into consideration a lot of variables that are required to calculate the optimal feedrate for the arcs.

For a good comparison, the best tool as I suggested before is to try the Metacut software and do a comparison of how they both work. I am sure you can do a 30 day trial of the software. This will probably give you a better idea of how the other software works and how Mastercam's works.

At the least, if you dont want to buy anything, you get a better understanding of their logic.

Regards

Glenn, thanks for your further info. I had a look at the site but didn't see any mention of feed compensation on arc moves.

From purely a geometric point of view, if a cutter is making a light cut around the inside of a radius, the feed rate as applied to the centre of the cutter has to be slowed down if the feed per tooth is to be as intended. As the radius of the cutter approaches the radius of the job, the feed rate approaches zero.

If the cutter is cutting around the outside of the radius the feed rate needs to be increased to preserve the intended FPT. For example, if a 5/8" cutter is cutting a 0.035" radius the feed rate needs to be increased 10 times to get the same FPT as cutting in a straight line.

Hugh.