Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ti-6A1-7Nb WTF!?!?!

Bruce Caulley

I have some books given to me with all the metals ever made . . . give me the details, and I will give you the "book" info . . . biggrin.gif

What is yor application: milling, drilling, slab, side or slot milling, turning, etc.?

BTW, do a web site search:

Here is one medical usage and you will find more.

Touch base with me and I can help you with machining techneques

Thanks all. My bad. What I meant to ask was if anyone knew a supplier that had any. We have been trawling through the US EU and OZ looking and no-one knows anything about it. Looking at the links you have given me I now have an alternative ASTM spec that we can start asking for.

Thanks again.

Bruce

The proper nomenclature is Ti-6Al-7Nb (367)

It is a dedicated, high-strength, titanium alloy with excellent biocompatibility for surgical implants. Used for replacement hip joints, it has been in clinical use since early 1986.

Ti = titanium

6Al = aluminum (5.5-6.5%)

7Nb = Niobium (6.5-7.5%)

Swiss National specification SN 056512

RHc 22-26

You can use higher feed and lower speed with lots of flood coolant on non-chlorinated cutting fluid. You can use water jet cutting, wire EDM and plasma cutting. Take care to avoid hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen pick-up at exposed surfaces when performing machining, cutting or grinding operation.

HTH

biggrin.gif