Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T NPT EXTERNAL THREAD

DavidB

quote:

When making an External NPT

David, it should be the same tool you use for internal npt threads headscratch.gif

When doing some crazy threads (acme and so on...) on a mill I use single point lathe tools.

Takes a bit longer but the tool is pretty much off the shelf.

hth

cheers.gif

Mark

Mark,Im after a tapered endmill to cut the tapered male shape before thread milling.

My point is that you can but a tapered thread Mill cutter so why not the same angled tapered cutter in an endmill to prep the Diameter first.

Yes I can surface machine the taper,but a tapered cutter would be quicker.

I have to cut 1000 External NPT threads on a 5-azis Vertical machine.

Thanks

For others future ref, when cutting an External or Internal thread with a thread mill cutter.The thread mill tool will cut the taper of the thread and also the taper of the OD for External and MD of an Internal thread.So only parallel preperation is needed.

cheers.gif

quote:

Will the tool last as long and give as nice a thread this way? I've never tried it myself.

On I'D npt threads I never prepped a hole with a taper and tool life was pretty good (several hundred + good threads)

I thought it would be similar with male npt (never done it though), which David just confirmed.

cheers.gif

Mark