Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hyperthreaded P4 2.8 overheating when Mastercam running

Conrad K.

I've been supporting a tool-making shop that has been using Mastercam for many years. Currently they're on 9.2, and I've been supporting them since 7.0 so we've been around the block a few years. My expertise is hardware & software not CAD/CAM.

Just upgraded the design machine to a P4 2.8ghz hyperthreaded, 1gb of RAM, lots of bells & whistles. The CPU is running the recommended fan and is Intel made & sold. I might add, that I'm having the same problem with a P4 3.4ghz so it's not just this machine.

Here's the problem. The machine will run perfectly normally with a CPU temperature holding constant at 55deg Celsius, with the fan turning at 2500rpm. No problem.

The instant Mastercam is loaded, the CPU temperature goes to 80deg C, bells & whistles go off, the fan revs to 3800rpm ready for takeoff and never comes back down, all in less than 2 minutes.

The instant we close Mastercam, less than 45 seconds, back down to normal.

I've always know that Mastercam is a CPU hog but this seems just a tad excessive, aside from being hot enough to fry eggs.

What have I missed, or is this just the way it is? I have ordered a larger CPU fan, but we're almost at the top with the one we have!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

SOmething else, I run a Laptop with a P4 3.4 GHz w/ HT. When running V9 and previous, I try to leave a WIndows Dialog Box open when at all possible (Solids Manager, Operations Manager, Level Manager, etc...) this keeps things cooler. I run ALL my toolpaths out of the Operations Manager to help things along also.

In my laptop, I can't seem to be able to turn off the HT. So far it's not been a problem for me.

A CPU hog is probably an understatement. As has been said many times on the forum, Mcam 9 basically uses the entire CPU while it is running. I used to run into this same problem with OpenGL screensavers on windows a few years ago. When the monitior on my server flipped to a screensaver it killed the network performance...took a while to figure that one out....Regardless with the price of gas this year your winter heating bills will be smaller...gets a little chilly just open up another instance of Mcam 9

quote:

Mcam 9 basically uses the entire CPU while it is running.

I don't think this is true.

I frequently run V9, Solidworks, Predator VCNC

Cimco Edit and Windows Explorer all at the same time.

That would not be possible if V9 was using 100%

of the CPU. The fans do run all the time under these conditions though biggrin.gif