Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

School Kids tour-slightly O/T

SLJ

I've got a group of home school kids coming in tomorrow for a field trip. I'm supposed to run through some of the MC stuff. Trouble is, the kids range from 4th grade to high school. Thought I would show them a couple of parts being verified after doing a bit of wireframe and solid modeling work. Anyone have any ideas? That is quite a range of age and I'm not sure how to go about it. Steve

You're right about it being "quite a range of age"

I have never dealt with any pre-high schoolers when it comes to the trade in any way shape or form, but I would guess that every body likes graphics. Do some varifying and some machining (if possible). The 4th graders might look @ varify as a cartoon and the older ones surely will be interested in the software.

If you'll machine something try to make it loud and fast. Kids (no matter what age) like loud things (for the most part).

I'm thinking that's what I would like to see. Also if possible show them the same part created on a pc and than on a machine. Just to be able to touch something that was only a picture a little while earlier would sound cool to me.

I remember a thread a while back about a chess set that is on the ftp site. That might be interesting. Maybe if you could come up with somthing like a model of an mp3 player, or something that looks like somthing they can all relate to they may enjoy it more. Show them how you can take a solid part and make it into a chess piece?

Joe

Have a simple part ready from something like Aluminum, with a couple pockets and a couple threaded holes, total cycle time of around 2-3 minutes. Show them the drawing, then the part in MC, and then make it, hopefully with a shower of chips hitting the side of the enclosure so it sounds like there is a machine gun in there. Of 20 kids, 15 will be oblivious. 5 will have their jaws on the floor. These 5 are the only ones you need to be worried about.

MattW

We run mostly aircraft alum. so that's not a problem. Got a box type part setup that profiles at 10,000 rpm and 228IPM with a 1.25 2 flute cutter. pockets at 6112 and 128 with a 3/4 carbide rougher. That ought to work for the "wow" factor. Problem is the plexi-glas is pockmarked to the point that you can hardly see whats going on in there.

Sounds like we're on the same page here, thanks guys,

Steve

MATTW comes pretty close here.

quote:

Have a simple part ready from something like Aluminum, with a couple pockets and a couple threaded holes, total cycle time of around 2-3

saftey first

WE do tours like this 3 - 4 times a year. I allways get the honors.

Show them the screen geomtry,

show them sme tools on your desk (end mills, drills etc.

Explain that we REMOVE material. it is a subtractive process.

do a verify and expalin that this is what the machine will (hopefully) biggrin.gif do.

include an ENGRAVE path. (school name. whatever)

THe younger kids will be more interested than the older ones.

Let someone jog the table around.

THey ALWAYS ask. "what's is that liquid stuff and what is it for?"

saftey first

-Keith

Well,I lived through it! Most of the kids were grade school age and I think most of what we had to show them went over their head. They did like the "cartoons" and the chip cutting though. One of the adults who were with them was our area State Representative. He was asking about the state adding problems to our productivity, so maybe they are cognizant of those things. Of course,he's up for re-election too.