Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Invalid Tool Definition in Backplot

PBpaul

Can anyone tell me what's up with this message? I selected a drill out of the inch library and used it to cut a simple "Stick Man" 2d contour. It posts and cuts fine, just like I figured, but when I try to backplot, it says it is an invalid tool and backplots with no tool. I say, if it is the tool I picked and the tool I want and it does what I want........

Exactly what makes it invalid and/or what can I do to make it valid?

Thanks- PBPaul

Thad, I thought that it was "error checking" too but I'm inclined to agree with DavidB that it is invalid only because MC can't figure out how to backplot it. I took a drill that was 3" long and shortened it to 1 inch and I changed the shoulder length and flute length so they made sense but actually, only the overall length would affect what I was doing, which was running a simple contour to a depth of .06. I posted it and cut the sample for my customer. All that worked but backplot would not.

Right after we got X, I had the same thing happen with a tool where I had punched in 75 for a shoulder length instead of .75. This was on an endmill 2" long. I changed it to .75 and got the same error so that wasn't it. I kept changing feed rates and plunge rates and for some reason, it started backplotting correctly. If it is a legitimate error, I wish MC would say what the error is and let you go ahead anyway or else fix it.

PBPaul

I was getting this also. When I checked the tool definition the flute length was defined as longer than the shoulder. When I changed the shoulder to be longer than the flute length it worked. This was a V9 program and had no problems in that version, but I guess X is a little more thorough.