Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Courses?

chad fisher

Alright people my subject title might be a little

decieving, but hope you can answer some of my questions. I have been using mastercam for almost two years now "mill and wire" we do mainly small prototype work with not a whole lot of surfacing ever involved. After being in this forum for about two months and reading some of the responses in this forum i realize there is a lot of very smart people in here, "my hat goes off to you"! What couses of related study have helped some of you?

I am more of a machinist than a programmer but i would like to try to better myself why i am still

young and if it would require some college courses

i would like to do so, but what to take i do not know. I have been to our mastercam dealer "Fastech" for there classes but if you do not use what they teach you, you tend to lose it, especially in the surfacing part for me. It would almost be nice to be in a month long course where they pound it in your head then test you to make sure you know it!

Any ideas would greatly be appreaciated. Thanks! confused.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Back in 1992 or 1993 I took my first Mastercam course at my local Community COlllege. Depending on where you live, this may/may not be possible. I only credit them with teaching me the bare bones basics about drawing and simple toolpaths. I pretty much had to figure out the trick toolpath stuff on my own and with the help of other more experienced programmers. gstephens taught me some cool stuff as have a number of you in here.

So, with all of that said, one ting will matter more than any class you take and that is SEAT TIME. Spend time playing with it. At work I know this is most likely not an option, but at home. You can usually pick up a Mastercam Demo Seat for pretty cheap or sometimes free if you plead your case to the right person if things are tight money wise. I would not be where I am today had I not made that sacrifice to play at home.

Hope that helps.

JM2C

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Hi

These are the basic things I did.

I was in mold shops at 11 years old,and everything was manual.At 18 I was a high school grad, but I didn't have the math skills to make a

professional 3-D pattern (wooden),and I was convinced by my fellow mold-brothers to take a couple of simple math classes with them at night.( class lasted 12 years).I also did an apprentice program,as well as shop time.

Then 1982or3 M.C. came into the shop.I started with purr seat time and Tom Schuler,as tutor.I have not worked since.I still take the M.C. classes when we get a big version change.I will also call Chris K.or Jay K. if I get trouble with an update ,or hardware conflict.

My two cents of what to do today---

You already found the user group.

Get a tutor--mentor---(someone who knows)

Get someone to commit to give seat time everyday.

Read the book

Wright down your M.C. questions.

Ask questions in class.

Use only legal seats.

Remember "If anything can go right it will at the best possible moment"

quote:

My two cents of what to do today---

You already found the user group.

Get a tutor--mentor---(someone who knows)

Get someone to commit to give seat time everyday.

Read the book

Wright down your M.C. questions.

Ask questions in class.

Use only legal seats.

Now to work with some of what scott was stating.

I would look at the learning kit from this site.

you would have a few things to grow on your own at home.

And would be fully legal.

Then take your Qustions to us or someone that you know that knows the software well near you.

JM2C

Seat time, Seat time

Bottom line it all comes to seat time. I had drafting classes in school,Then learned Autocad in college. In 1986 Cim Linc was thrown in my face & that got me going. Worked on other BRAND X software as the years past untill i bought Mastercam in 98. Dealer classes An all sorts of manuals & tutorials ,Prior cad experience,& tons of play time at home did it for me. Seat time! cool.gif

Seat time is obviuosly the key to success with MC. However, though, you will still need to "tackle" the software with an open mind. I taught a lathe class last night. At the start of the class, everyone was complaining about all the "clicks" and how hard MC Lathe was. Most of the guys had not even attempted to view their lathe package. By the end of the night, they all said that lathe was better than mill. I gave myself a big pat-on-the-back for that one.

Obviuosly, time will be a virtue for you, but patience will run a close second. Get all the training you can and all the literature you can. Even though you have used the software for a couple of years now, I would look into purchasing the "student software" package for home use. You local dealer should be able to help with that.

Thanks for the responces! It seems as you all agree to seat time! About Three years ago when i came to this company www.battelle.org the machine shop here only had one cad/cam package and that was pro/e. To what i seen of it, it was way to complicated to deal with, and there was no one to teach it to us. So after some management changes i got picked to search for a cam system that was easyily learnable but complex enough for the tougher jobs. I had started with gibbs since i used to use it at previous job but it had fell short on what we needed for this place. So we agreed to go with mastercam, and im glad we did, though starting out initially i was pulling my hair out wandering what i gotten myself into.

"some people expect you to run before you can walk" But after some classes it has come easier to do, so hopefully with you guys and alot more xxxx time i can learn some more. Thanks again biggrin.gifsmile.gif

quote:

All went onto big$$ jobs. I know it's a lot of money, but knowing Mastercam like the back of your hand opens many doors

YOU SAID IT!!!!

Privatly owning Mastercam puts you in total control of your work enviroment. You avoid the fighting & shop politics over access To Mastercam in the job shop.(I hate brown nosers mad.gif )

When you quit a job , your software & talents go's with you.You dont have to find work. Work will find you! cool.gif

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Kenneth Potter ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

When you quit a job , your software & talents go's with you.You dont have to find work. Work will find you!

Well put Ken. I could not have said it better myself.

I'm lucky though, I have my own seat AND a seat I do not share at work so no fighting/politics. Just getting work done.

Warning frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

When applying for a job as a programmer-----> Do NOT!!! I repeat ----DO NOT tell them that you have your own software during the interveiwing process. The head guy who runs the shop floor/programming" wont hire you in most cases cause your a threat to his job. Shops are click drivin. After your foots in the door then hit them with both barrels. wink.gif

Kenneth Potter

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I would not tell them I have my own seat because I want them to buy me my own seat at work. Plus then CAD/CAM Consulting Services Inc. (My local reseller biggrin.gif ) gets the biz and I'm all about supporting those guys. They are a great bunch.

JM2C