Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Automatically loading config files

Smit

In version 9 you could configure the desktop icon to automatically load a customized config file by adding /custom.cfg to the target line.

Is it possible to modify the target line in Version X to load a customized config file and .mtb file?

TIA

Thanks Dave,

My problem here is I have a 2nd shift programmer following me and using the same computer, so I don't want to change the start/exit of mcamx.config.

Thanks Roger, that worked great for loading the config file. I then modified the start/exit of my customized config file to select the customized .mtb file, but it still loads the mastercam.mtb file?

That's one step closer to the goal! cheers.gif

• 3 months later...

quote:

The problem with the MTB file not being loaded after the .CONFIG file is specified in the shortcut had been previously reported and is corrected for the MR1 release.

Pete,

We have MR1 installed and still have a similar problem. It appears that MC is launching the mastercam.mtb at startup and then before it's done, starts launching our custom .mtb file. The result is a mixture of the two. If I go to Settings-Customize, it shows that our custom .mtb is the active one. If I reselect our custom .mtb from the list, then it loads correctly.

quote:

C:MCAMXmastercam.exe MY.config "C:MCAMXcnc_machinesMY.mmd"

I'm confused about what the second line is supposed to mean.

Thad

Pete;

I'm not a beta tester, but a long time Mastercam user (since v3) who is finally forcing himself to use version X exclusivley. It's painfull, but I'll survive. biggrin.gif

I found this thread searching for a solution to this exact problem in MCX-MR1...

This morning I created a custom .mtb file and have configured Mastercam to load it in the Configuration -> Start / Exit panel, but it doesn't. Upon launching Mastercam, I must go to the Settings menu -> Customize, then open the custom file to get it to work correctly.

.mtb file forwarded.

Pete;

MC overwrote my .mtb file with defaults. Twice. I couldn't figure out what *I* was doing wrong until I set the read only attribute on the file.

I doubt this was intentionaly designed this way;

- Launch Mastercam

- Settings -> Customize

- Click red X / cancel;

- Error dialog popup stating unable to open file for writing. (due to 'attrib +r')

Mastercam isn't automaticaly loading the custom file when it starts, but happily writes defaults to it upon canceling the Customize menu if the file wasn't opened first.

If the window is closed either by right clicking on the upper left corner and clicking close in the pull down, clicking the x on the upper right corner, or clicking green check / ok button it doesn't try to write to the file.

Is my assumption correct, or does cancel mean something other than cancel in the Customise menu?

MCX-MR1

Bob,

You're right - we DON'T support putting the name of the .MTB file on the command line. My fault for the misleading information. I thought we supported this and was lead further astray by Roger's post into thinking we do.

I would think that the name of the MTB that you put on the command line would be ignored. What name appears at the bottom of the Settings/Customize dialog?

I'll need to hunt around to see why we're trying to 'write' to the MTB file even though you've canceled. That's not right...

Pete;

quote:

You're right - we DON'T support putting the name of the .MTB file on the command line. My fault for the misleading information. I thought we supported this and was lead further astray by Roger's post into thinking we do.

I'm not trying to load the .mtb file from the command line. I do load the .config file from it though. The .mtb file is defined in Settings -> Configure -> Start / Exit -> Toolbars.

quote:

What name appears at the bottom of the Settings/Customize dialog?

My custom file, c:mcamx-mr1configmastercam_bobh.mtb, but it's truncated halfway accros the m in .mtb making it look like an n and there is no t or b. I assume that's simply a display / resolution issue. Despite the name being (more or less) correct the file isn't loaded when Mastercam is initially launched.

If you wan't I can email you a screen shot, I don't have access to the ftp site.

quote:

I'll need to hunt around to see why we're trying to 'write' to the MTB file even though you've canceled. That's not right...

I didn't think so.

Thanks. At least now I know I'm just partialy, not totaly crazy. For the time being, anyway. biggrin.gif

Bob,

Regarding 'cancel', here's a response from one of the developers responsible for the "Customize" page...

"When the user enters the customize dialog a backup of the current toolbar configuration is saved to a temporary MTB file. If the user cancels out the system is restored to its original state by reverting back to the temp MTB file. This was done to completely restore toolbar definitions and dockstate when canceling out. This was a huge request early on when we couldn’t do this.

Early on we attempted to track if something had changed in customize. If we could do this then we could skip the restoration process on cancel if nothing had changed. But many different changes can occur when the customize dialog is up, many with interactions completely outside the customize dialog (like adjusting the dock states and dragging and dropping between toolbars). So it is now not very practical to try and detect when something changes, so we just always revert back to a stored MTB state when the user cancels out."