Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hole Contouring

Just curious, does any one here actually trust their tooling enough to contour mill a hole with an endmill? I have a +- .001" and among other ways have considered just using an endmill... think accuracy can be guarunteed? (Based on new cutters and such...)

I feel comfortable holding +/-.0002 on dia's with an end mill as long as I am using helical interpolation and not just contouring at a constant depth. Most end mill manufacturers put a back-taper on their tooling. I prefer to bore, but I know that most of our machines are worthy of holding that kind of tolerance.

I use circle and threadmill and love it. I also use ramp contour on holes that are for counterbores and whatnot. Tolerances are not a problem.

Thad, that was one of the reasons I think Storky was calling them crap in a post a while back. They get the job done, just not how you want it sometimes. biggrin.gif

I am running Makinos by the way

I have 2 Fadals, I just don't use them for anything that HAS to be there.

Though I just had to use one of them for an 8 piece job with a +/-.0002 hole, guy just comes in and tell me he had to go around the hole 6 times to cut and hold size.

Wants me to change the program to reflect this, I says ahhh, noooo. We run them on the Moris next time it won't have to be cut like that.

On older machines if holes are egg shaped out at the 45's you can sometimes true it up by taking a conventional cut (g42) for a spring pass. It seems to even out the slop in the machine.

Can you get post to output cutter comp in

circle mill? I didn't think so is why I never use it.

I figured out a formula to force the cutter down the center of a hole and just use contour.

Any one need the formula?

Tim,

With a contour toolpath you can use ramp, and have a helical lead in and out with comp as well. Ramp in countour is very powerful. You can use any type of cutter comp as well with cicle mill. Check the parameter page #2 of the operation.

I don't know how many have noticed, but lead in lead out now has a value for helix height which allows you a z drop value on your lead in and out. I just noticed this the other day. HTH cheers.gif

quote:

Can you get post to output cutter comp in

circle mill? I didn't think so is why I never use it.

I figured out a formula to force the cutter down the center of a hole and just use contour.

Yes, you can use cutter comp, most machines you have to check perpendicular entry and it works fine. Start at the center is easy, just check start at center smile.gif

If you really want to enter at the center on a contour, just place a point at the center and use that as your first chained entity.

quote:

I don't know how many have noticed, but lead in lead out now has a value for helix height which allows you a z drop value on your lead in and out. I just noticed this the other day

Where ya been John, Ver 9 had it too. biggrin.gif On countour at least, don't know bout circle mill.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ramp Comtour is the shizzle. For entry/exits, lately I've been using Tangent Line with 30% of Dia. for Length, and 20% of the Dia. for the Arc and sweeping 120 Deg. On entry and exit, overlapping .125" This gets me close enough to the center of the hole plus less problems with marks on the wall.

Otherwise I use Perpendicular entry, turning Arc Off, then, I take the radius of the hole and subtract the redius of the tool and this will put me dead center of a circle. If you are leaving stock, subtract the amount of stock to leave from the length of the line.

JM2C

Mark,

Hole Dia minus Cutter dia divided by 2

(That is your toolpath radius)

times Tangent of 22.5 deg (.4142)

This number will be your line length AND your

Radius

Set your:

entry/exit to: tangent

Sweep to 135 deg.

It will put you within a tenth of center every time.

-tim

Another point is NOT to have the post set to

180 deg. arcs and Radius instead of I's and J's

With 180 deg arcs and Radius output You can cut a hole .0035 out of round on a .03005 rad arc

because of rounding error. If you tried to squeese a .0601 dia hole between 2 points .06 apart the center is .00173 off axis.

That is what you would get if you tried to cut a .5601 dia hole with a .500 endmill and output 180 deg arcs and used "R" instead of "I and J".

I always make sure the tool path radius hasn't been rounded from .00005 to .0001.

I have this drawn up if someone doesn't believe me. - tim