Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cheap companys

heavychevy2155

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Penny wise Dollar foolish"

To this day I Ream or Comp leader pins and bushing holes rolleyes.gif

The company will not spring for a $1,500.00 Boring head

actually 5 years later Its $1,750 now.

Same Sh!t owner just bought a GT 350

Although I could careless what I use

(Thank God we don't have a Radial drill press!

They go to the tool shows they know whats out there.

I recently worked for a company who wouldn't supply tools necessary, like a tool post to change tools, end mills that were very expensive, and other criteria for me to handle the job. They bought this new machine and because of what they saw at another shop during finishing cuts, they expected me to do the same from roughing and finishing techniques. i tried to explain wha is what and what I needed but winded up losing the job because of their ignorance. They wanted ZIP ZIP ZIP to happen all because of what they saw at another shop for about thirty minutes.

I wish owners and managers would take a REAL look at what they want to do before they quote the job and ask questions when they don't know something!

For the shops who won't buy new tools: banghead.gif

Luckily the shop I work for buys new cutters, drills, etc. for all new jobs that come in. We're into R&D, so new cutters are plentiful. If we have a repeat, then we use the regrinds from previous jobs.

Not bragging, but I feel very fortunate compared to some of the shops out there.

Push for the BEST!! biggrin.gif

-Stretch

It takes money to make money and Tony you should have told yur boss he could of had matching GT's if he spent a few bucks and got adequate tooling with the range of indexable tooling on the market and teh competition in inserts knocking the prices down why does anyone still use endmills except to sidewall cut?

And on what tools should the company provide anythig that is a cutting tool files drills cutters etc. Measuring tools should be the machinists responsibility and if it is broken on accident I think the owner shoud pony up for a new one but if the same bonehead is going thru 3 verniers a month then the onus shouldbe back on him if he should know these cost money he did pay for the first one and if he doesn;t respect it his tough luck. With the way technology is changing though a yearly tool allowance would be nice to keep up with productivity. Every other skilled trades are required to own there own tools why shouldn;t we?