Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Recalibrating a lathe touchsetter

Ian q

Depending on the control, its parameter #701,702.(Fanuc, thay can use any parameter they want)

These values are also in mm.

What I do is manually skim turn a Dia, without moving the X axis, stop the spindle, measure the dia and go to the X geo offset,high light the tool you are setting, and type in MX 2.256, then press "input"(the dia you just measured).

Now flip out the tool probe, touch off the tool and compare the difference between the manually skim cut and what the probe says.(look at the offset values before and after in the Geo offset)

Take the difference between the two, convert it to mm and add or subtract it from the proper parameter(check your manual that came with machine if you have it).

The skim cut and the touch probe should match pretty close.

From what I can remember from a different machine. I would set-up a scrap piece of material (I used Alum. that way anything harder would always cut big by a couple tenths) I would then do my touch setting then take a od cut. I would then comapre the 2 take my difference adjust the parameter and then take another cut to make sure it stuck. I would then do my face using 2 tools. I would touch off one cut tpouch off the other then make sure there was no divation should not be but can be. Then I would do my other 3 place the same manner. Most machine the paramet is in long format no decimals or even in long format mertic no decimals so take that into account when you make your parameter adjustments. I would also use my common tools when making these adjustments to insure I was getting my everyday needed numbers. Most time when you throw long tools in the mix touch setter only get close not right on.

HTH

On our Okumas you just need to get one OD and one ID tool with 'good' offsets, access the sensor position parameter page, and touch the setter with the 'good' tools. When this is done the setter 'learns' where it is from the offsets; kinda a reverse touch-off. I can't imagine the Mori Seiki would be too far from that but I don't actually know.

C

I have a mori sl15 with 0t fanuc.

parameters are 744 (X OD), 743(X ID), 745 (Z Left sensor), 746 (Z Right sensor)

My settings are:

744 123194

743 42635

745 -40234

746 0

Yours will no doubt be different.

1000 of these units is .0394" (1mm).

So, 123194 is 4.8045".

OR each 1 of these is .0000394"

Or each 25.4 of these is .001"

Keep in mind X are in diameter dimensions.

Also, take into account cutter radius or use a sharp tool and program toolpath for 0 cutter radius.

Take a test cut on OD and if small say -.010" then incrase #744 by about 254 (.010 x .0000394)

Then take another cut and measure. Repeat until get correct Dia.

Do the same for #743 with an ID tool.

Make # 746 0

Touch a facing tool to Z Right probe.

Face the part at a progammed Z0.

Then:

#745 will be the distance from the right to the left probe.

This is a little tricky but as I recall I used a back facing tool and touched the probe and then put a parallel or something similar on the face of the test piece and and move the tool to a programmed Z0 spindle off and see how close you are to face of the part with the parallel. estimate the error and adjust #745 accordingly. ( You could actually bolt a flat washer to the face of the part and back face it to see exactly where you are.

Repeat until it is perfect.

THEN bump the toolsetter (as I did) and start all over again ........DUH