Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Xbox360 Faceplate

Exodus

Well, as I said, I made a topic to discuss this in and to let that other one die since... well... It was a bad topic name! Okay, well, I put another link to the MODEL. Yes, you are right pip, it's a model, not program!

*edit* Okay, here's a link[/ul] to the .mc9 file of my model. Well, what I was wondering, can I pocket out the round edges with the 3d toolpathh, but use the geometry created by the extrusion, and cut?

If you wanted to pocket out the .500 wide thru slot, using the extruded geometry, you'll have no problems. Can you use a surface-rough-pocket on the rounded edges? I'd say the short answer is no. If you created extra geometry, it could be done simply.

To get the thru contour, I'd use a 2D contour and then a 3D contour to cap the rad.

Thad

Alright, well I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was trying to use a regular pocket on a solid. Can't do that! You ahve to do a face, and then choose pocket, from there I did solids and then rough. Then I chose the fillet I made for the button, from there, I did the same thing except on finish! Now It's verifying, If that works, then I just have to make a pocket to get rid of the bottom of the button, the disc tray, and then do the sides!

*edit* Heh, That's exactly what I did is what you said tongue.gif Just had to explore a little bit!!

If the file that you posted is the completed project, add a couple taps into the bottom of it, make a dummy plate with some counterbores the same spread, and bolt it to the plate. Then put the plate in a vice and cut it. Who cares if you cut into the plate. Your faceplate can be cut completely in one setup.

Thad

Exodus,

I just checked your profile and had to chuckle. You were born in 1990. I was in the first Gulf War in 1990. Does that make me old? No, not really. There are forum members that were in Vietnam when I was born in 1970...such as my buddy Gary, also known as "die sinker."

cheers.gif young man!

Thad

I am young, I'm probably the youngest one on these forums! I know starting early will really help me in the industry, especially if I can figure out what I'm doing wink.gif Well, I set up some tool-paths. And now I'm getting an error on the 2 sides. I don't know if it is because of collisions I'm getting, but I know that it is an easy fix for the colissions, just gotta make a higher retract. And here's a link to the new one with tool paths:

www.exodusvideos.com/mc9/FRONTTOOLPATH.MC9

I think you are using too much surface machining. You could do the whole outside with normal 2D contour also the slot the same but choose ramping. The round pocket with circle mill, then with a radius cutter. But the radiused sides will need a surface cycle. I think you are making the job harder than neccessary. Just my opinion.

quote:

I just checked your profile and had to chuckle. You were born in 1990. I was in the first Gulf War in 1990. Does that make me old? No, not really. There are forum members that were in Vietnam when I was born in 1970...such as my buddy Gary, also known as "die sinker."

cheers.gif
young man!

I'm also chuckling, my grandson just turned 18 last month biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif (I just wish he would show some interest in ANYTHING besides computer games)

Re the 'Front' toolpaths. I would use the same tool that circled-milled the round pocket to also cut the radius using the Radial Surface Toolpath. Rather than set up a radius cutter tool.

cheers.gifcheers.gif