Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Offsetting curves

PeterM

I've noticed this a few times so I thought I'd tossi it out and see what I catch. When I need to offset a curve, the resulting curve is mich more jagged than the original, I have my curve tolerance set to .0002 but that dosen't seem to help. Is there some other setting that I need to modify, or is this a bug?

Peter

Offsetting it as in collapsing the curve I assume?

Not sure how'd you get around that. The curve is controlled by nodes so when you collapse it some nodes have nowhere to go. So it can get ugly.

May end up just cleaning the curve up afterwards.

if your setting is corners none spline may be rather different

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Corners

The options in this section of the dialog box determine how Mastercam handles gaps that result when you offset a chain of curves outward, making it bigger.

Note: When you offset the boundary inward, the system trims the boundary at corners.

None (Corners) extends the curves until they connect when offsetting the boundary outward.

Sharp (Corners) creates arcs at sharp corners to connect the curves when offsetting the boundary outward. A sharp corner has 135 degrees or less.

All (Corners) creates arcs at all corners to connect the curves when offsetting the boundary outward.