Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help on Trimmed toolpath.

bestguest

Anyone want to take a stab at a part I am working with?What I want it to do is cut only on the vertical faces in the die opening.I have tried using the trim toolpath function but no luck as of yet.The file is a z2go and is called trimmed.z2g in the X folder on the ftp site.Been working on this for a few hours now and am stuck.

Thanks

Matt

Matt,

I looked at your file and I'm unclear of what you want to do. Based on your 2 trimming boundaries, I think you've "contained" the area that you want to cut. Does that sound right? If so, that's not quite how the trim toolpath feature works. Your boundary should contain the area that you *don't* want to cut. As Tim said, you can trim from planes other than top...for castings and such.

There should be some sample files in your MC install directory to see how the trimmed toolpaths work.

Thad

Thanks to everyone that took time out of their day to take a look at this. I originally posted this message as I was running out the door yesterday and did a bad job of explaining myself. On level 250 there is a model with a vertical cutout through the center. This is the area that I want to trim. I could just contour mill the profile through the block but I would like to eliminate hours of air cutting. I can get the tool to cut along the 3d curve I created however because it needs to be a ball tool I can not get the tool to stay "normal" to the curve. On the near vertical walls the first pass gouges bad. The people I work for do not want to WEDM the shape due to the size and cost.