Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface problem

rnickl

I have been working on a project off and on for about a week now and can't seem to figure out how to create a surface for it. banghead.gif

I have uploaded the file to unspecified_downloads/wing.mc9. It's a wing for a model glider. It has two different airfoil shapes and the leading and trailing edge have an inconsistent taper. I was working on the center section only to simlify things for me, using only two of the airfoils to create the inbord surface of the wing.

I was trying to use coons suface, 2 accross and 2 along but the output is som crazy looking curves no matter which way I try. I'm not sure how to explain what the surfaces looked like.

Am I doing somthing wrong when selecting my chains or should I not even be using coons for this suface.

I'm trying to learn this stuff so any help is appreciated. This is my first big hangup learning this software and for some reason can't work my way past it.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick, you are correct, coons is the appropirate surface creation type. What you need to do is break your leading and trailing edges where your across curves meet. Although the wing can be modeled as one complete surface, try doing one patch at a time (choose 1 across and 1 along). If you still need help I can send you the file with more detail.

Neil.

I had a look quickly (dont have enough time to put something together for you sorry)and noticed one big thing ....make the chains lines and acrs ,right now the contour is made up of alot of little lines ....clean it up and you will get better results. if you want to use the chain you have for coons you must connect the corners.

Dave

Thanks for all the replies.

Niel,

A file with more detail would be great if you don't mind. I'll take all the help and info I can get my hands on till I have a better grasp on this stuff...

Dave,

"make the chines lines and arcs"

Yet another thing I have to sit down and figure out how to do. You guys are making my list longer. wink.gif

Thanks,

Rick

Rick, check the file wing-bt.mc9 in the same folder.

Your geometry appears to have been converted from a DXF file - millions of short little lines.

I used the existing geometry to create new splines and from them create the coons surfaces - one for top and one for bottom.

I suggest you read the help file for coon surfs, note that all curves must be broken at all intersections.

HTH Good luck!!

PS When you shade the surfs set the chord height to .0001 or the little edge rads will look too choppy. They will still be choppy but not so bad.