Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

cutting 3d arc detail using T/C plane option

nickelback

Hey guys,

I had to cut a .028 wide groove in an electrode using a modified 1/32 ball endmill.I have the drawing saved FTP under (rjust 3d arc cut).It's the geometry only.The only way I could get this to cut was to use (Toolpath,Contour,Chain,Done)chaining from the front to back.And on the first parameter page I turned on the T/C plane option.Turned T-plane to (TOP)and turned C-plane to (SIDE) leaving all x,y,z origins at zero. On the next parameter page I turned the (cutter comp. computer) to (LEFT), turned (tip comp.)to (CENTER). Left the DEPTH at zero. Left the DEPTH CUTS,MULTI PASSES and the LEAD IN/OUT all off.(Contour type) is set at (3D).I have the geometry drawn at the deph I need to cut to in Z. If I did enter a number in the (DEPTH)slot,I would get a bunch of cutter pathes above the geometry. I got the groove cut perfectly by doing it this way, but did I use Mastercam correctly? And is there a way to use the (DEPTH)?

Thanks rjust

smile.gifsmile.gif

tooling

Thanks for repling to my message. No that's not how I cut the detail. I had to contour around the entire geometry with the ball tip. I changed the parameters and saved it under (rjust 3D arc cut tool 2#) This is the only way I could get this to work. I was not able to give it any depth cuts in the depth selection, it wouldn't work. But I did find that if you give a rough and a finish in the multipasses selection it will give you depth cuts in the z-axis. I was just wondering if this is the proper settings for doing this machining.

Thanks rjust