Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Training classes for "Mastercam solids"

Bill K

Our engineer took a three day class about a month ago for solids3D. He had to wait a while cause there were no other people intresting in taking the class. Finally he went and they only had him and one other guy in the class room. One teacher for two guys is the way to go, you get all the attention. One tip, ask your dealer about the computers heshe has. Make sure that they have at least 700Mhz machines or otherwise you'll spend more than have the time waiting for toolpath regeneration.

It's been my experience that as long as you know the wireframe and surfacing pretty well, the Solids tutorial that comes with the add-on is plenty. Also try the Lin/Shue Scholar's Solids book for v7 (Only missing a couple of options from v8) for more practice parts. The most asked question about solids creation seems to be "How come I can't do _______?" Usually it's an issue with the parasolids kernal (backbone) that Mastercam uses. There is really no way to answer that question (unless it's "You can't") without alot of trial and error. There are a couple of work-arounds that you learn that may work in a given situation, but they are very difficult to teach.

Read the book that came with it. Do those projects. Start building stuff just to see how things work. If you get stuck, put a question up here or call your dealer. Solids creation is VERY straight forward. Toolpath work pretty much the same as "normal".

The next version may require a class, but for v8 I don't think you'll get alot out of it.

JMNSHO

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: gstephens ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

There are a couple of work-arounds that you learn that may work in a given situation, but they are very difficult to teach.

This was a problem in the Mastercam classes that I teach because since every part is different, and everybody's base geometry creation style is different the answers are not always the same. The students would get upset because they thought we were deliberately witholding information from them. So now I tell everyone when constructing solids "Draw everything sharp", then add your fillets later. This does not always work but will keep you out of trouble roughly 90% of the time.

JMHO

Hey Bill,

I just got going on solids a few months ago. I started out going through the book and then drew some stuff around the office then a couple of small jobs. I just completed a pretty complex valve, I would rate myself as above average at best as a mastercam user in general. I dont think you need the classes, as the others have said. I turned here for help and got it! We are here for ya man!! I took james advice and did well, and found that you cant always complete a job in solids, surfaces are still our freinds..jump in and go for it. My guess is you will find it easier than you thought.

Barry