Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Broken Tap Help

I hope someone knows a trick of the trade or something to help me with this one. I have a broken tap in a piece of SAE 1141. The tap that is broken in it is 10-32 H3 PS/P Plug EL (Electro-lube) tap. The part is to big to be put into a small hole EDM to burn the tap out. Does anyone know any tricks or something that can help me remove the tap from the hole. The tap isn't bottomed out because there is .2 inches of clearence from the hole depth to the tap depth. Any ideas?? headscratch.gif

Mill it out .

I know this sounds crazy but that`s what I do .

This thread will go with end mill 3 mm ,

Drill it manually 400 rpm easy going by hand very slowly on your machine .

Coolant -air

More crazy thing to do is to take a drill smaller then thread ,srarpen it negative angle bite and give

spindel to turn in negative direction .

This you can do only on conventional mill or radial drill ,cause you will try to turm tape out (I did that too ) ,needs some practice

Both things i did personally as a machinist not a long time ago

Crank that baby up to about 5K and peck-feed it very slowly using your pendant. The cutter most likely will break, so have another one handy. I prefer not to use coolant since I like to stick my head in there. Keep using your air hose to blow the particles of the tap out of there... And don't forget to have those safety glasses on.