Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Double spindle lathe programming

DavidB

How do you guys program double spindle machines in Mcam?

I have never done a double spindle Lathe before.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Any thing I should be aware of.

The machine has a fanuc controller.

Any machine/controller def and post that I can start with?

Machine is a Diamond CSL 32 I have not seen it yet.

Thanks in advance cheers.gifcheers.gif

[ 03-30-2006, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: DavidB ]

Not many of us Lathe guys on here!

There is an operation for Lathe Stock Transfer. I would check under the help settings and that may get you some decent answers.

I don't have a double spindle lathe here, but I would assume you would just use a different WCS for the second spindle.

I'm guessing that most of the work would be in setting up your mach definition the right way. This would set up your Axis definitions in the correct way.

I know it's not much, but maybe it helps!

I program my twin-spindle, twin-turret machine like it is two machines and paste the programs together with the wait codes, synch codes, part handoff all done manually. I'm sure I could get more out of Mastercam here but it isn't worth the aggravation for me; I know what I need in the program so I just copy and paste. CNC Software has been working on their multi-spindle/mutli-turret package for several years but I don't think it is ready for release yet.

C

I don't know about X, but with V9 the Fanuc post was the only one that was setup to do anything with the Misc Ops functions and even that was weak; you basically need to find the function you wish to use in the post and configure it yourself to post the code you require.

David B,

We are having success with the stock transfer misc op and a little post magic.

It is possible to do a synched transfer (both spindles holding the part) with a cutoff then return to home by the sub. It's also possible to mill clutching the part with 2 spindles.

We've done it on Mazaks, Mori, Hardinge, and Daewoo to name a few.

We've done this by adding a synch mode to the post that changes all of you code output based on that req'd for two spindle operation.

Please let us know if we can help out.

Brett

What i have done for our sub-spindle Lathe is make Macro subs for operations that require syncing. So for example a cutoff w/transfer to the subspindle(cutoff/transfer, subspindle pull out and machine). If i am doing subspindle work then after my last main spindle tool i turn a Misc integer on and i get a G65 macro call with all the correct settings figured out by the post. Then make a new WCS on the back of the part and program the sub-spindle. This is for a single turret sub-spindle Hardinge Quest.